The Middle Man: Offering a Level of Security that Is Taken for Granted

Photo by: Cecelia Krause

Students flow down the halls like white rapids, crashing and swirling toward their next class, oblivious to any potential dangers surrounding them.

“Quietly in the shadows” is a mere educational assistant.

An educational assistant unlike any other.

William Bauer, underrepresented and unidentified in the building.

Tucked away amidst the leftover junk and technology — remains of decades past.

Not here for the praise and glory of his colleagues, but here to ensure the safety of the students.

An NHS student scrambling to his next hour passes Bauer standing guard at the bottom of the stairs. Making little note of his presence he stumbles into the class, narrowly missing the bell.

What he does not see is Bauer dispersing a crowd after two students fight in the halls before being escorted into the liaison’s office.

What that student missed is Bauer posted at door 3 for majority of the day ensuring no one entered the school that could cause harm to the students.

What that student never saw was Bauer hunched over a desk for hours watching the swarm of camera displays, analyzing video.

That student fails to recognize the level of dedication and passion in the man standing at the bottom of the stairs during passing time.

When class is over the student will get another chance to mend his ways; students will see him again. Bauer chats with his friends, scans cards at door 3 and roams the halls.

Students wonder what qualifies Bauer for such a simplistic title.

With 30 years of experience in security, and the countless crises he prevents and resolves, he thrives to keep students safe, but many take him for granted.

Every day students bustle past him going this way or that, not particularly caring about their surroundings, which makes it all the more important that he does.