True Identity Revealed Through Gender Transition

Sage was not always known as Sage. Previously he was known as Arionna and identified as a girl. Transitioning to high school, Sage started to realize that he wasn’t his true self.

Struggling to find oneself is always a difficult journey, but for one individual the journey is like crawling through hell itself. Sophomore Sage Cuminale shares his unique perspective.

As a young teen-ager in middle school, Sage struggled heavily with depression. When asked to describe middle school Sage replied in one word: “Awful.” Not only feeling weighed down by this, Sage also started to realize that his sexual feelings weren’t necessarily like everyone else’s.

As transitioning from Arionna to Sage, he had to build up his support system. He made friends who offered support and communicated closely with Ms. Wescott and Mrs. White. These teachers were willing to go above and beyond to make Sage feel comfortable. They changed the choral dress code to accommodate him.

Sage was able to wear what other young men did and wasn’t required to wear a dress. This meant more to Sage than words can describe.

With Sage now confident he has found his true self, he plans to create more awareness here. Currently, using the same bathroom as one’s birth gender is a rule at school.

This is just one change that Sage hopes to bring to school. He encourages all students and staff to become more aware and welcoming to all students no matter what gender they identify with and their sexual orientation.

When asked if he wanted to create more awareness after his time here he replied:

“No, I’m hoping to move away and continue my education in med school. I just want to live.”

Sage demonstrates an outlook on life that many should follow. Be your true self and just live.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “True Identity Revealed Through Gender Transition”

1. Ksenya Seager on March 6th, 2017 8:20 PM

This was a beautifully written story about a boy who struggled with his sexual identity. This story relates to civic engagement and brought awareness to the Transgender community, a community which isn’t always talked about at the high school. There was also just the right amount of figurative language where this seemed sincere and very pleasant to read.

[Reply]

2. Mae Chandik on March 7th, 2017 10:34 AM

I loved this article because I feel like it touches on a controversial topic that shouldn’t be controversial. Sage is very brave for sharing his story about his transition. The call to action perfectly concludes the article.

[Reply]

3. Jacqui Beran on March 15th, 2017 12:53 PM

I really enjoyed this article from the first sentence, “Struggling to find oneself is always a difficult journey, but for one individual the journey is like crawling through hell itself. ” I think that that sentence holds so much power in simile, and thoroughly engages the audience in the topic. Overall it was a very well written article for a very deserving individual.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• True Identity Revealed Through Gender Transition

300-Word Story

Teacher Connects with Students: Making It Personal

300-Word Story

Living in a Foreign Country Requires People You Can Rely On

300-Word Story

Cross Categorical Teacher Helps Students Succeed

300-Word Story

Former Singles Player Takes on Doubles

300-Word Story

Student Details His Accident with Drunk Driver

300-Word Story

Teacher Values Mentors that Encourage Students to Guide Learning

300-Word Story

Walters Love the Family Dog

300-Word Story

Color of Hair Draws Attention

300-Word Story

His Determination Grants Him Ease on Longboard

300-Word Story

The Middle Man: Offering a Level of Security that Is Taken for Granted