True Identity Revealed Through Gender Transition

Sage was not always known as Sage. Previously he was known as Arionna and identified as a girl. Transitioning to high school, Sage started to realize that he wasn’t his true self.

Struggling to find oneself is always a difficult journey, but for one individual the journey is like crawling through hell itself. Sophomore Sage Cuminale shares his unique perspective.

As a young teen-ager in middle school, Sage struggled heavily with depression. When asked to describe middle school Sage replied in one word: “Awful.” Not only feeling weighed down by this, Sage also started to realize that his sexual feelings weren’t necessarily like everyone else’s.

As transitioning from Arionna to Sage, he had to build up his support system. He made friends who offered support and communicated closely with Ms. Wescott and Mrs. White. These teachers were willing to go above and beyond to make Sage feel comfortable. They changed the choral dress code to accommodate him.

Sage was able to wear what other young men did and wasn’t required to wear a dress. This meant more to Sage than words can describe.

With Sage now confident he has found his true self, he plans to create more awareness here. Currently, using the same bathroom as one’s birth gender is a rule at school.

This is just one change that Sage hopes to bring to school. He encourages all students and staff to become more aware and welcoming to all students no matter what gender they identify with and their sexual orientation.

When asked if he wanted to create more awareness after his time here he replied:

“No, I’m hoping to move away and continue my education in med school. I just want to live.”

Sage demonstrates an outlook on life that many should follow. Be your true self and just live.