The Orbit: Recipient of Homecoming Funds

“A senior who helps me to get things more organized in the closet was on the Homecoming Committee and brought up the idea to choose a fundraiser for the Orbit, “ explains Shelley Aaholm, a Spanish teacher.

The Homecoming Committee chose the Orbit as the recipient of its annual Homecoming fundraiser, totaling more than $7,000, plus donations of canned goods and clothing for the closet.

The Orbit is a closet within NHS that provides clothing, shoes, personal items, feminine products and canned foods for students that would possibly need it.

“The Orbit in NHS started 3 years ago with some money from the Helping Hands Craft Fair,” Aaholm shared in reflection.

Aaholm adds, “A short time later they received a grant as well: money for canned foods and clothing to start with.”

The location of the Orbit is kept strictly a secret in order to keep the closet a safe, confidential place where students in need can shop for free without feeling embarrassed.

“The location of the Orbit is very secret. It’s just a room located in Conant, that is probably not known by students because we try to keep it in a secret, so that students can go there without any mean comments from other students, “ admits Aaholm.

It is wonderful to help take some of the worry away from struggling students. Thus they can feel somebody takes care of them and they do not feel alone.