Neenah Show Choirs Claim Four Titles at Brodhead Competition

Photo by: Jennifer Smyth

Members of Act II, along with Band Director Katie Bauer (front left) and Director Cheryl White (front right), pose with their two trophies.

Neenah show choirs Act II and Vintage performed at Brodhead High School’s In the Spotlight competition this weekend and made history.

The process was the same as it had been for them two weeks ago. Coach buses were packed, hotel rooms were raided by high school students and countless pairs of fake eyelashes were glued onto eyelids. This time, however, was different, especially for Act II.

Act II had been the Grand Champions of the Prep Division at Brodhead for four straight years. A new door was also open to the group, one that they had never encountered: Act II had the chance of making finals. Most competitions only gave open groups, like Vintage, the opportunity to compete in finals. The competition gave a unique chance for Act II to really shine.

Both show choirs performed extremely well, and the judges agreed. Act II was named as the Grand Champion of the Prep Division for the fifth year in a row. Soon after, Kassidy Schmidt, a junior at NHS, was awarded as Best Female Soloist Within a Performance for her spectacular solo in the Vintage’s piece “Ooh Boy.” Finals were announced next.

Not only did Vintage make it into finals, but Act II did as well. For the first time in Act II’s history, they had the chance to compete in finals. Katie Bauer, the Band Director of Act II, claimed they made history that day. Mascara streamed down girls’ cheeks as they sobbed in happiness. But the moment could not be enjoyed for long; Act II had to be ready to perform again in 30 minutes. Vintage would perform immediately after them. The Neenah show choirs were thrown into a state of chaos as they scrambled to get ready once again.

For the second time in the day, Act II and Vintage performed their set for the judges. They were optimistic about the outcome. Act II unofficially placed fourth before finals; only 40 points behind Vintage, who claimed third. This was extremely impressive considering they competed against 15 other groups, eight of which were advanced groups like Vintage. Act II beat five open groups.

Finals were announced later. Placing as fourth runner-up, or fifth place, was Act II 2017. The freshmen and sophomores screamed and cheered with excitement. Fifth place in finals is an extremely high achievement for Act II, and they were proud of their efforts. Vintage was announced as the first runner-up: the highest they have placed in competition so far this year.

Both Act II and Vintage performed their best at Brodhead High School. They came home with proud smiles on their faces and trophies in hand.