• March 1Friday, March 1 Boys Basketball - WIAA Regional Semifinal, Home vs. Eau Claire North, 7 p.m. (NHS Gym)
  • March 1Thursday, February 29 Girls Basketball - WIAA Sectional Semifinal vs. Hudson, 7 p.m. (at D.C. Everest)

Upcoming Events
  • March 2Saturday, March 2 District Solo/Ensemble, 8 a.m. (NHS Fine Arts area)
  • March 2Saturday, March 2 Girls Basketball - WIAA Sectional Final vs. Hortonville or Eau Claire Memorial, 1 p.m. (at Appleton East)
  • March 2Saturday, March 2 Boys Basketball - WIAA Regional Final, Home vs. Hortonville OR at Superior, 7 p.m.

Polls

What are your thoughts on Parent-Teacher Conferences?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Rich History Behind Stomp’in at the Savoy

National Honor Society hosts event

The National Honor Society hosted Stomp’in at the Savoy on Saturday, Jan. 20. Guests enjoyed tunes played by Intermediate and Advanced Jazz with music sung by Aria Giddings(Junior).

Photo by: Kaya Berkley

The atrium was transformed back to the 1920s. Fanciful table decorations and tables were set out around the main stage. Guests were dressed up as if they were in the 1920s. 

“I think it’s a beautiful setup, and I’m really enjoying the kind of induction of this event at the Neenah High School,” English teacher Ms. Kaitlyn Bergmann said.

The event took inspiration from the famous Savoy Ballroom. The Savoy Ballroom was opened in 1926, during a period called the Harlem Renaissance. The Harlem Renaissance was the time when creative arts bloomed among African Americans.

The famous ballroom was considered the “World’s Finest Ballroom” and “Home of Happy Feet.” It was also one of the earliest racially integrated jazz clubs. The Savoy Ballroom was the core for jazz and dancing.  Sadly, the ballroom is no longer open.

Nevertheless, a big shout out to the National Honor Society and both of the Jazz Ensembles for an incredible night that brought back the beloved Savoy Ballroom.