Former NHS Student Inspires at Veteran’s Day Ceremony

Neenahs+annual+Veterans+Day+ceremony+took+place+on+Nov.+11.+

Neenah’s annual Veteran’s Day ceremony took place on Nov. 11.

Local veterans were honored at an annual ceremony held Nov. 11 in Pickard Auditorium.

2012 graduate of NHS and current U.S. Army Lt. Thomas Huxtable gave a speech with a meaningful message. “My hope is that staff and students walked away realizing that they all can do something to make their communities a better place, both today and in the future,” Huxtable said.

Huxtable’s message was taken to heart by an array of students, many of whom will rise to his challenge by noticing everyone aiding the community in some way or joining organizations such as the Peace Corps and Teach for America.

Students who choose to volunteer for various organizations later in life make an eternal impact and gain valuable life skills.

The Peace Corps specifically aspire to connect with leaders abroad and solve issues facing our generation. “Volunteers share American culture and customs with their host families and communities, and in turn, they bring the international customs, culture and experience back home,” a Peace Corps spokesperson said.

Both students who actively participated in the ceremony and students who were seated the crowd cannot help but look beyond the community and notice the generosity pouring from the hearts of soldiers past and present.

“I am glad our performance went without a hitch. It’s Veteran’s Day. We need to properly honor those who served,” Matthew Cowen, sophomore and member of the choir, said.

Among those who served are NHS staff. They act as a daily reminder of the sacrifices extraordinary people are willing to make and are true champions. The ceremony showcased Dale Elliott, Kenneth Gilmeister, Wendy Hermans, Talon Myers and David Shearier.

“It’s an honor to be a face for what a champion/alumni should look like, but I know so many people I went to NHS with doing incredible things around the world. If I was able to inspire another champion in the crowd, then it was a huge success,” Huxtable said upon being asked about the NHS slogan.

Consider following Huxtable’s lead in asking: What can I do to improve my community?

Watch the ceremony: NHS Veteran’s Day Ceremony