• April 9Thursday, April 4 Girls Soccer - Home vs. Bay Port, 7 p.m.
  • April 9Thursday, April 4 Softball - Home vs. Kimberly, 5 p.m.
  • April 9Wednesday, April 3 Baseball - Home vs. Kimberly, 4:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

Polls

Do you think the snow will continue?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Brigade changes the lives of Fox Valley students

By: Reporter Alivia Coon

Neenah Boys’ and Girls’ Brigade is affecting people all around the Fox Valley and around the world.

It is no surprise that all people young and old are affected with the program. With the strong leadership training program and fun events going on the program has strived for the past 114 years.
Laura Kemps, the brigade executive director said brigade has truly changed her life. She takes the brigades logo of “My own self, at my very best, all the time” to heart. She joined brigade back in 2005 as a volunteer and then was hired in 2012 as the executive director. She explained “My favorite moments at the Brigade building are the first week of a new program year when everyone is coming in the building all excited and energetic.” She encourages everyone to get out there and join. She explained that the fee is $99, and if individuals cannot afford it,  financial assistance is available.

She stressed that each year they do evaluate the program, make changes if needed and try to let volunteers, Brigades and parents share their concerns about the program. She also added that it is “almost too much to list in an article” as she thought about all the things the brigade does every year to change up its program.

A current brigade member, junior Amber Hanson talked about her previous experience in the brigade. She has been in the brigade since 2009 when she joined as a 6th grader. She smiled and said, “Brigade is a place with stimulating activities and influential speakers and events.” She also commented that her favorite part of brigade is the workshops in which she gets to take part. She said she enjoys seeing her friends and having the new and different experiences. She thought a long time about if brigade has changed her life or not but she suddenly smiled and said, “absolutely.”

A parent of a brigade member said she could definitely see a change in her daughter since she joined the brigade. “She’s getting out there and hanging out with her friends and she always comes home with a smile.” She softly chuckled and said that she is thankful for this brigade program.

No doubt exists that the boys’ and girls’ brigade has been changing lives for the better in the Fox Valley.

To find out more about the boy’s and girl’s brigade check out their website: http://www.bgbrigade.com/