• April 9Thursday, April 4 Girls Soccer - Home vs. Bay Port, 7 p.m.
  • April 9Thursday, April 4 Softball - Home vs. Kimberly, 5 p.m.
  • April 9Wednesday, April 3 Baseball - Home vs. Kimberly, 4:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

Polls

Do you have a summer job lined up?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Letter: Common core system creates problems for students and teachers

Dear Editor:

The Common Core system creates problems for both students and teachers. According to Core Standards.org, “The Common Core State Standards provide clear and consistent learning goals to help prepare students for college, career and life. The standards clearly demonstrate what students are expected to learn at each grade level, so that every parent and teacher can understand and support their learning.” Unfortunately, this creates unreachable high standards that not every student can match. Every student does not learn the same way; every student learns at a different pace.

The Wisconsin Common Core website states: “Setting high standards enables students, parents, educators and citizens to know what students should have learned at a given point in time. Clear statements about what students must know and be able to do are essential to ensure that our schools offer students the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for success.” These high standards are not beneficial. Yes, it is important for students to know what they should be expected to learn in class, but not at the standards that the Common Core system provides. Yes, some students do benefit from the challenges provided by the Common Core, but a percentage exists that does not.

Fox News stated in an article that “A little-known aspect of Common Core should have students worried about what goes on the dreaded permanent record, say critics of the national education standard.” Most of what goes on this permanent record is collected in grades K-12. This is highly unnecessary as grades in elementary and junior high do not matter as much as in high school.

“The Department of Education has praised the Common Core for its focus on computer adaptive testing to supply teachers with data, so that they can adjust their teaching styles and provide their students with individualized instruction. But in practice, the Common Core’s rigid and technology-laden approach to learning makes individualized education almost impossible.” This statement was located on a Common Core issues website. Individualized education is important because all students learn at different speeds and have different learning styles. The Common Core is making this nearly impossible, causing problems not only for teachers but for students as well who enjoy and benefit from learning at their own pace.

Mrs. Suzy Weisgerber, a social studies teacher, explained that she was “torn” on how she felt about the Common Core system and explained the benefits and harms.

To solve the complications of the Common Core system, a multitude of things can be done. One option is to eliminate it from the middle and elementary schools, and keep it as optional courses in high school, similar to AP courses. Overall, the Common Core system creates problems for students and teachers and provides little benefits.

Sincerely,

Kat Berge, freshman