• April 9Thursday, April 4 Girls Soccer - Home vs. Bay Port, 7 p.m.
  • April 9Thursday, April 4 Softball - Home vs. Kimberly, 5 p.m.
  • April 9Wednesday, April 3 Baseball - Home vs. Kimberly, 4:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

Polls

Do you think the snow will continue?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Letter: Effects of marijuana abuse

Dear Editor:

As more states move to legalize marijuana, many people are being blindsided by the long-term health effects associated with this “harmless” drug. Proponents of marijuana claim that this drug has no negative effects on the brain and is not addictive, does not lower ability to excel in successful relationships or to earn good grades, is better than smoking cigarettes, and has no long term health risks. All of which is predominantly media hype. Scientists and other researchers have looked at the effects for 20 or more years and prove otherwise. Marijuana abuse causes more harms than benefits.

Marijuana contains dried leaves, flowers and THC. This drug is also the most common illicit drug in the United States. According to the National Institute if Drug Abuse when marijuana is smoked, THC rushes through the lungs and into the bloodstream. Once there, molecular targets activate the neural communication system which affects brain development and function. With prolonged use of this drug, the abuser will often times acquire a brain ailment, such as; schizophrenia. A Drug Free World says that long time use will also lead to psychosis, which is a loss of contact with reality, this can be in the form of hallucinations and delusions.

Marijuana users often say that marijuana is not addictive. Researchers beg to differ, the National Institute of Drug Abuse found through research that 9 percent of all users were addicted. Another study conducted by Dr. Joseph Person from the Center of Accountability in Science says to The Washington Post, “one in six teens will become dependent on marijuana.” Addictions usually come in the form of withdrawal. According to Psychology Today, ‘Being addicted is more than being physically dependent on a drug and experiencing physiological effects if the drug is stopped suddenly. “Addiction” refers to behaviors that are compulsive, partially out of control or worse, and often escalating in severity and intensity.’ Unfortunately, no current medication aides in the withdrawal, however, cognitive-behavior therapy and goals have proven to be successful.

Knowing that addiction does exist in marijuana abusers, proof exists that a correlation exists for the users will respond to the changes in school and at a place of employment. The 2013 Monitoring the Future survey done in the United States, showed approximately 7 percent of high school seniors are daily or near-daily cannabis users. When teenagers use this drug more often the addictive narcotic increases their risk for suicidal thoughts and depression by 18 times as much as non-drug abusers. This study was conducted by Edmund Silins from National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at the University of New South Wales, Australia. CNN Health reports that more use of marijuana can increase this number as well.

In order to prepare teens for a healthy future, we must halt the progression of legalization of marijuana. The very least that can be done for teens is to enforce the harms and risks, which can be done through classes, seminars or even a guardian or teacher explaining the effects. As shown by doctors and various studies, marijuana abuse can ruin a healthy friendship, relationship, body and mind.

Sincerely,

Emma Fuhrman, sophomore