• April 9Thursday, April 4 Girls Soccer - Home vs. Bay Port, 7 p.m.
  • April 9Thursday, April 4 Softball - Home vs. Kimberly, 5 p.m.
  • April 9Wednesday, April 3 Baseball - Home vs. Kimberly, 4:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

Polls

Do you think the snow will continue?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Letter: Benefits of extracurriculars

Dear Editor:

Many benefits of taking part in extracurricular activities in high school exist. Teens will learn to be responsible and use their time to their advantage. These activities also show improvements in grades and social skills. Extracurriculars also look impressive on college applications. These activities are beneficial for skills teens will use for the rest of their lives.

High school students in extracurricular activities will learn how to manage their time and prioritize different tasks. Productivity will be immensely approved by getting involved in after school programs. These programs prevent you from wasting time procrastinating and allow teens to become more responsible with their homework and studying routines.

A boost of confidence and self esteem can occur in many teens by being involved in these activities. Extracurricular allow students to find something they are extremely well at and exceed in. Not only will they help raise self esteem, they will also improve grades in teen’s classes. Studies show students are more likely to succeed in both academics and life. Taking part in extracurriculars will offer various interests, that teens may not have even knew they had. Teens may be so stuck to their normal routine that, they do not try anything new. Extracurricular activities introduce teens to new opportunities that they could potentially fall in love with.

Relationship building skills will be formed as students interact with new peers of all different backgrounds. Meeting new people and creating new relationships is important in any teen’s life. Social skills will be approved because they will step out of their comfort zone and contribute their ideas and actions to the activities. Teens will become more comfortable people public speaking and talking to people they have never met.

Extracurricular activities look incredible on college applications. Most colleges look at not only grades, but also activites and clubs students were involved in their four years of high school. The activities reveal things about the students that required classes could not. This shows colleges how well-rounded and responsible teens are.

Sincerely,

Jessica Kerwin, freshman