• March 2Saturday, March 2 Boys Basketball - WIAA Regional Final, Home vs. Hortonville OR at Superior, 7 p.m.
  • March 2Saturday, March 2 Girls Basketball - WIAA Sectional Final vs. Hortonville or Eau Claire Memorial, 1 p.m. (at Appleton East)
  • March 2Saturday, March 2 District Solo/Ensemble, 8 a.m. (NHS Fine Arts area)

Upcoming Events

Polls

What is the vibe for Spring Break?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Letter: Animal rescuing during holidays

Dear Editor:

We are all familiar with the most magical moment on Christmas morning that has been seen on television for decades. The kids run downstairs to find a new little puppy under the tree with a red bow around its neck as a gift from their loving parents. This is a moment that brings warmth to your heart, because there are not many things more precious than a little puppy who you know will be a great companion for a long time after.

Christmas time is a popular time to think about getting a dog for the family. There are already many pups in the world that aren’t taken into consideration. If you’re thinking about getting a dog, there is a way to save one’s life while still having the kind of addition to the family that you’ve been dreaming of. Experts have said that three to five million dogs and cats are returned to shelters each year. This overwhelming amount is devastating considering the large amount that never end up in a real home with real owners. It is also said that before one has kids, they should have a dog because, puppies especially, can be just about as much work as a human child.

It has been said that getting a dog for a Christmas present is a bad idea and not something to look upon well because it will most likely not work out and they will be put back in the shelter regardless. You do, however, need to consider everything about this commitment before you make it, but it is not altogether a bad idea. In fact, the rate of returning pets after getting them, especially during the holiday season, has decreased by a large amount in the past few years. As long as all factors are considered, of which there are a lot of, you are sure to have a fantastic Christmas. One factor, for example, is the initial fee and costs that are going to be there for as long as you have the dog and are taking care of them. There are costs for food, toys, accessories, possible medication, shelter, etc.. Not only money will be spent, but also time. If you are going to take good care of your dog, you have to spend time nurturing them and making them feel safe and comfortable in your home. Once they are settled with you, you have to be able to come home to them in the evenings to feed them and let them outside to do their business. This takes time and also knowledge about how to care for a dog in the best possible ways. Though they may take as much work, they are not humans, and they need to be cared for and treated differently. Of course, for your own safety also, you need to make sure your health is good enough in that you do not have any allergies or any other risks that would be harmful to bring a pet into the home. After you believe you are ready, there are plenty of opportunities to save a dog for your furry Christmas treat. For example, Iams Home 4 the Holidays is now the largest pet adoption campaign on the planet. There are plenty of organizations along with them that will help out anyone who wants to help out.

There are reasons why dogs have been given the nickname “man’s best friend.” They are companions with unconditional love who will give you joy for the rest of your life no matter what happens. People with pets have been proven to live longer with less stress and fewer heart attacks. They make our lives better in so many ways. As Jayne Meadows once said, “we spend too much time thinking about ourselves instead of enjoying life. Dogs show us how to do that.”

Sincerely,

Hannah Sopel, senior