The Orbit: Recipient of Homecoming Funds

“A senior who helps me to get things more organized in the closet was on the Homecoming Committee and brought up the idea to choose a fundraiser for the Orbit, “ explains Shelley Aaholm, a Spanish teacher.

The Homecoming Committee chose the Orbit as the recipient of its annual Homecoming fundraiser, totaling more than $7,000, plus donations of canned goods and clothing for the closet.

The Orbit is a closet within NHS that provides clothing, shoes, personal items, feminine products and canned foods for students that would possibly need it.

“The Orbit in NHS started 3 years ago with some money from the Helping Hands Craft Fair,” Aaholm shared in reflection.

Aaholm adds, “A short time later they received a grant as well: money for canned foods and clothing to start with.”

The location of the Orbit is kept strictly a secret in order to keep the closet a safe, confidential place where students in need can shop for free without feeling embarrassed.

“The location of the Orbit is very secret. It’s just a room located in Conant, that is probably not known by students because we try to keep it in a secret, so that students can go there without any mean comments from other students, “ admits Aaholm.

It is wonderful to help take some of the worry away from struggling students. Thus they can feel somebody takes care of them and they do not feel alone.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “The Orbit: Recipient of Homecoming Funds”

1. Cassidy Kemppainen on March 6th, 2017 1:18 PM

To help a student in need at your school is to help the school as a whole. Every person that attends Neenah High School should be valued equally, and a lot of people are unaware that students who attend here don’t have the basic necessities they need. I think this was the perfect place to donate money to as a part of our Homecoming experience.

[Reply]

2. Rachel Terry on March 6th, 2017 5:30 PM

The Orbit serves to help students in need, just like the diaper bank serves to help families with young children in need. By raising money for the Orbit, Neenah High School students are learning how they can make a difference within their school. Hopefully these students will see how much of an impact a person can make and choose to stay civically engaged within their community.

[Reply]

3. Jackson Atassi on March 6th, 2017 7:57 PM

I’m so glad that something like the orbit exists here. I sometimes take for granted the fact that not everyone has all that they need. It’s great that there is a safe space for students to get what they need so they can focus on other things.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Orbit:  Recipient of Homecoming Funds

Features

Senior Spreads Smiles and Kindness Through Halls

Features

Combining Mathematical Sequence with Photography

Photo Essays

Student Travels with Her Backpack

Features

Photo Series: Students Gear Up for Valentine’s Day

Features

Local Christmas Light Hot Spots Featured

300-Word Story

Teacher Connects with Students: Making It Personal

300-Word Story

True Identity Revealed Through Gender Transition

300-Word Story

Living in a Foreign Country Requires People You Can Rely On

• Features

Foreign Exchange Student Secures a Smooth Transition

300-Word Story

Cross Categorical Teacher Helps Students Succeed