Varsity Softball Team Travels to South Carolina for Spring Training

Photo by: Brandi Cavegn
The players of the Neenah High School Varsity Softball Team stand on the beach at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

Wide smiles stretched across many teen-agers’ faces as they turned off their Friday morning alarms and snuggled under their blankets for a full night’s sleep. The varsity softball players began spring break (March 24) on different schedules.

The team of 17 girls started its first day of spring break in a way that no students would ever want to — waking up early on Friday morning. Luckily, teammates would not be enduring seven hours of classes; instead they would be sitting through an 18-hour ride to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. The girls divided themselves into three large vans, driven by Coach Richard Frost and Assistant Coaches Lisa LeMahieu and Stephanie Schott.

The girls told stories, sang to the radio, and simply had fun the majority of the day while in the vans. Eventually, they reached a motel in Kentucky. About eight hours still laid between them and Myrtle Beach, but they were tired from the long ride.

A long night of sleep was not a luxury that the softball team could afford, unfortunately. Early Saturday morning, the vans were loaded, and they were on the road again. Another day of stories and bonding ensued. The girls made a quick stop at Ripken Experience, the sports complex where they would be practicing for the next six days. Finally, the three vans pulled into the parking lot of the Ocean Reef Resort, their final destination. The area was soon flooding with haphazard, droopy-eyed teen-age girls and piles of softball equipment. Teammates split into their assigned rooms and dragged their luggage to their rooms. The rest of the day was spent relaxing.

The softball team spent six days at Myrtle Beach with two to three hours of each day spent in intense practice. During this time, the team made improvements to their skill and strengthened bonds. Girls spent the remaining hours of the day relaxing at the beach, exploring various shops, and hitting hole-in-ones at mini golf.

The girls played their first two games of the year at Myrtle Beach. The first game took place at 9 a.m., against the Platteville Tennessee Cougars. Neenah’s starting lineup included Kate Dietzen, senior, as pitcher, Dallas Cavegn, junior, as catcher, Hope DeShaney, senior, as 1st baseman, Madelyn Himes, junior, as 2nd baseman, Natalie Ebel, junior, as 3rd baseman, Mae Chandik, senior, at short stop, Rachel Terry, senior, as left fielder, Annika Redemann, junior, as center fielder, and Stephanie Kumbier, junior, as right fielder.

One of the highlights of the game featured freshman Lexi Bridenhagen. Neenah runners stood on second and third base as Bridenhagen walked up to the plate. A ball was thrown, a bat was swung, and three girls in shining red helmets began sprinting. Bridenhagen did not stop until her cleats planted on second base. The two girls who had been on the bases just moments before crossed over home plate, scoring two runs for Neenah. Despite Bridenhagen’s outstanding at bat, the Rockets were unable to pull out a win.

Neenah was scheduled to play the Marysville Monarchs at 11 a.m. that same day. Only a few changes were made to the starting lineup. Sophomore Maddy Hall pitched, senior Kate Dietzen played 2nd base, and junior Aimee Roekle played right field. Unfortunately, the team encountered another loss.

Despite the unfortunate outcomes of both games, the girls of Neenah softball had plenty of fun. The Rockets showcased its musical side as Juju on That Beat, Kung Fu Fighting, and other songs blared over the fields and they broke out in humorous dances.

Unfortunately, the trip had to come to an end. The team said goodbye to the warm South Carolina weather on Friday, March 31 and once again climbed into the vans. By Saturday night, the tired softball players were back in cold and snowy Wisconsin.