An Insiders View Into Planning Homecoming

Associate Principal Joshua Murnane and Student Council Vice-President Joshua Sturgell give an inside look into the monstrous task of organizing homecoming for 2,000 students and the community at large.

Photo by: Frank Slavinsky

This Sunday marks the start of homecoming week, the symbolic beginning will be the pep assembly that occurs this upcoming Monday.

In the past week, numerous promotions and posters cropped up around NHS touting the activities of this year’s homecoming. The posters in the link are sure to catch the gaze of any passerby. But how did those posters come to be? How were the activities decided on? I sat down with two leading figures in the planning of this year’s Homecoming: Assistant Principal and Activities Director, Joshua Murnane, and Student Council Vice-President, Joshua Sturgell, to answer those questions.

Planning for the activities began during the summer with multiple meetings with the administration team, said vice-president Joshua Sturgell. Student Council used previous years’ successes and shortcomings for a basis of what to plan for this year, that being the reason for dropping the parents’ night out. He went on to say that the parents’ night out took away from the students experience, but that Student Council is eager to work with Principal Wunderlich and his vision for a more inclusive, district wide, celebration of homecoming. Sturgell went on the record to say that he would like to see this implementation achieved through promoting homecoming activities for the elementary level, activities such as dress up days that would allow younger students to take part in the larger community. In regards to the planning of high school activities, though, Student Council maintained a steady flow of communication with the administration team regarding the progress of planning. Student Council also created the promotions and posters seen in the link, specifically, and throughout the school.

From an administrative viewpoint, Associate Principal and Activities Director Joshua Murnane went on the record to say that while of course the kids and schools are different, the overall concept of homecoming at both Green Bay and Neenah is the same. When asked how involved the administration is with the planning of homecoming, Murnane went on to say that as of now, Principal Wunderlich has taken point and filled the role of intermediary between Student Council and the administration. Murnane continued to say that he anticipates he will take on more responsibilities in the planning for next year’s homecoming. As of the time of the interview, Murnane expressed possible lack of seating in the stands for the homecoming game to be his largest concern.

Both Sturgell and Murnane went on to take the position that senior dress up days, as long as they are appropriate, are acceptable. Sturgell cited that it is the role of Student Council to provide accessible days that all students can utilize, and if students want to do their own days, that is their right. Murnane stated his belief that seniors have earned the right to organize their own dress up days, given their echelon and the tradition surrounding the custom.

Homecoming 2017 will be more divergent than years prior. The assembly will be held at the beginning of the week, rather than the end. On top of that, homecoming week is a PLD week this year, meaning that students will attend school for four days, rather than five. One thing is for sure though, students can expect nothing short of a week chock full of entertaining, and exciting activities brought to them by their hard working peers and educators.