Editor: Style Icon with an Inspiring Voice

With her iconic sense of style, she and a handful of students run the school newspaper. She is one of the few who take the title of editor-in-chief of the Satellite with them when they graduate.

Senior Emily Roberts is a part of those talented few with that coveted job. Roberts, like Jackie Kennedy, uses her voice and her sense of style connect with the masses. It just so happens her style icon is the famous Mrs. Kennedy.

Named editor-in-chief last year, Roberts is honored to receive this role for the school year.

Roberts wants to leave her mark on the Satellite. Her goals consist of increasing readership and getting more students involved in reading and writing for the paper.

She openly shares her favorite parts of the publication. She expresses that the Satellite allows students to contribute their passions and interests; “I love the polls, and I love that it’s not just plain old stories in the paper.” 

She takes pride in the fact that student voices exist in numerous forms, which include: profiles, Humans of NHS, infographics, letters to the editor, poetry and prose.

Having a late start in the paper, Roberts began reporting last year for the Satellite.

“I started last year — that is the biggest regret of my high school career.” 

She notes that it sounds stereotypical. “Everyone says, the one regret you will have from high school is not getting involved soon enough. It is so true because the Satellite is one of the biggest parts of my life.”

Since elementary school, she knew she wanted to be a lawyer, veterinarian or a journalist.

She chose the path of journalism because she loves writing and searching for the truth; “I can write about law. I can write about animal rights. Basically, journalism allows me to talk about my passions.”

After high school, her plan is to study journalism and double major in political science or English. She has a list of the colleges she would be honored to attend and these campuses reside in: Boston, Chicago, Milwaukee and N.Y.C.

“I want to experience more than Neenah, so I am not looking at Oshkosh. I know they have a good journalism degree, but I just want away.”

She is not in favor of one university yet. “I love Northwestern University because it’s close, and it’s also kind of a stereotypical college experience.”

She adds, “Since I was really little I wanted to go to NYU. Everyone grows up with an idealized vision of their future, and I love N.Y.C. so much.”

In terms of her future, she acknowledges with a smile and quick nod of her head that it would be an honor to attend any of the schools on her radar.

Her 10-year plan consists of being accepted into college with a job offer from a publication such as The Washington Post, New York Times, or maybe even Vogue.

With a sense of humility and soft-spoken style similar to her icon, she admits that she wants to impact change before she dies. “It sounds morbid, but it’s true.”

Clearly, Roberts is destined to inspire others via her raw talent and drive.