Weather Alert: Staying Safe on Winter Roads

The effects of distracted driving.

Skylar Neuber, Student of Journalism

As the weather begins to dip and the winter months draw closer, slick roads and heavy snowfall require serious precautions before drivers go behind the wheel.

Fortunately, Lisa LeMahieu, a health teacher and coach at NHS, works with Rockets Against Destructive Decisions (RADD) to help students prepare for the icy conditions of winter roads.

RADD is an organization to help students become knowledgeable and well equipped for the winter season.

“Allow yourself more time to get to your destination. We live in a society where we pack as much as we can into our day which leaves minimal time for travel,” LeMahieu said in regards to her winter safety advice.

The organization is promoted primarily during winter and prom, a well-known time of the year when the rate of student consumption of illicit substances is the greatest.

I think we see accidents in the winter because people don’t slow down. They have a hard time reacting to the icy snow conditions,” Vicki Strebel, an officer with the Neenah Police Department, reports.

In the last five years, the State of Wisconsin received approximately 18,600 motor vehicle crash reports in the winter because of snow, ice and/or slush covering the roads, according to the Wisconsin Emergency Management team at ReadyWisconsin.

In order to stay safe this winter, educated adults aim to inform students on the best safe driving advice and provide the tools every driver needs to maintain safety on the road.

For further information and supplies for safe driving this winter see LeMahieu in room 310.