Changes in the Parking Lots Spark Student Curiosity

The+most+noticeable+change+is+that+a+car+drives+around+the+parking+lot%2C+issuing+tickets+instead+of+Mr.+William+Bauer%2C+who+functions+as+campus+security.+
The most noticeable change is that a car drives around the parking lot, issuing tickets instead of Mr. William Bauer, who functions as campus security.

Sam Brazee, Student of Journalism

Numerous changes are observable in the parking lots after the 2016-’17 school year, which is sparking student curiosity.  

Officer Vicki Strebel confirmed that the City of Neenah is now using an app called NuPark, which uses cameras mounted on the vehicle.  It scans the license plates to detect if a vehicle has a parking pass or not.  Although Bauer is capable of using his phone for it, the app is currently working the best with what the City of Neenah uses.  Strebel predicts that once the city gets the technology figured out Bauer will be back to doing the ticketing.

Next, not only has the color of the parking ticket changed from white to yellow ticket, but the more costly change is that the ticket took a big jump from $10 to $16.  Additionally, the price has the potential to escalate after more than one offense.

Some may wonder with all of these tickets being given out where is all of the money going?  Officer Strebel said that about $3,000 was collected on tickets at NHS last year.  “Every bit of it went back to the city.”  

Although Neenah students may be upset with the higher ticket prices, nearby high school, Oshkosh West charges $75 for a parking pass at the beginning of the year compared with the $45 charge at Neenah for a pass.  

In contrast, no charges for parking exist within the Appleton area high schools.

Strebel also said that having assigned parking spots in the Armstrong lot is something that may become a reality in the future.  

1 Comment

One Response to “Changes in the Parking Lots Spark Student Curiosity”

1. Anna Koerner on February 28th, 2018 10:27 AM

This article cleared up a lot for me, as a student who has a parking pass I have noticed that car going around giving tickets and I did think it was a bit strange. I think using the car will more efficiently find those who are parking without a pass, as they don’t have to manually check whether or not the car has a parking pass and they can just scan the license plate. I know that as a student, people parking in both lots without a pass is becoming a huge problem, and those who do park there without a pass should be ticketed since they are taking someone else’s spot that they paid for. Personally, every year that I’ve had a parking pass, I’ve chosen to park in the Armstrong lot instead of the main lot because I feel it is less of a hassle in the morning and after school. However, parking in the Armstrong lot has been more difficult this year since so many are parking without a pass, I think that assigned spots in the Armstrong lot is a great idea, and will hopefully eliminate the amount of people parking where they should not be parking. If not assigned spots, maybe assigned zones? That way students have a specific section in the Armstrong lot that they need to park, that could be a bit of an easier option as well.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Changes in the Parking Lots Spark Student Curiosity

Classroom

The Link Project Revealed

News

Neenah High Career Fair 2018

News

2018 Diversity Fair Schedule

News

Diversity Fair Anchored in Rich, 17-Year History

Infographics

Infographic: Changes to Mod 5

Extracurricular

Administration Shares Target-Based Grading Polls

Community

Neenah’s Hall of Fame Grows Larger

Infographics

Infographic: Teen Trends 2017-2018

Schedule Changes

Winterfest Schedule of Activities

News

Update on Missing Painting