Changes in the Parking Lots Spark Student Curiosity

The+most+noticeable+change+is+that+a+car+drives+around+the+parking+lot%2C+issuing+tickets+instead+of+Mr.+William+Bauer%2C+who+functions+as+campus+security.+

The most noticeable change is that a car drives around the parking lot, issuing tickets instead of Mr. William Bauer, who functions as campus security.

Sam Brazee, Student of Journalism

Numerous changes are observable in the parking lots after the 2016-’17 school year, which is sparking student curiosity.  

Officer Vicki Strebel confirmed that the City of Neenah is now using an app called NuPark, which uses cameras mounted on the vehicle.  It scans the license plates to detect if a vehicle has a parking pass or not.  Although Bauer is capable of using his phone for it, the app is currently working the best with what the City of Neenah uses.  Strebel predicts that once the city gets the technology figured out Bauer will be back to doing the ticketing.

Next, not only has the color of the parking ticket changed from white to yellow ticket, but the more costly change is that the ticket took a big jump from $10 to $16.  Additionally, the price has the potential to escalate after more than one offense.

Some may wonder with all of these tickets being given out where is all of the money going?  Officer Strebel said that about $3,000 was collected on tickets at NHS last year.  “Every bit of it went back to the city.”  

Although Neenah students may be upset with the higher ticket prices, nearby high school, Oshkosh West charges $75 for a parking pass at the beginning of the year compared with the $45 charge at Neenah for a pass.  

In contrast, no charges for parking exist within the Appleton area high schools.

Strebel also said that having assigned parking spots in the Armstrong lot is something that may become a reality in the future.