Letter to Editor: Giving Back in Our Community

Donating is become more and more accessible to the public due to the Salvation Army

Kassidy Schmidt, Student of Journalism

Dear Editor: 

We have finally come upon the holiday season, which means gifts, travel, and plenty of food. Our biggest worry is making sure our friends and family are traveling safely and providing everyone with a gift for their exchanges. But what if our worries went deeper than the surface? What if our biggest concern was making sure we had a place to sleep during the holidays? Or just making sure we had a coat? The typical holiday traditions would quickly fade into the background as they struggled to survive. With that being said, how can we make the holidays a little easier for those in need?

The opportunity to give to people in need is easy to do in a community like ours. NHS runs a number of drives where we can donate to people in need within our school! The Food Drive is a major opportunity for kids to donate and spread holiday cheer. Students may donate non-perishable food items or money. There is a place to donate in every single classroom. The classroom with the most donations will receive a pizza party! Another fantastic organization to donate to is known as, Full Stop. Full Stop was created by a group of students and provides feminine products to those in need. Students are welcome to donate any type of feminine product or money. It is not toys or candy, but it will go a long way in helping those in need keep more money in their pockets.

Charitable organizations do not only exist within our small community. Just a few miles outside our border lies a drive known as, Toys for Tots. Toys for Tots is a foundation based out of the U.S. Marine Corp. Their mission is to collect unwrapped toys from November to December and distribute to children in need throughout the area. People can donate at the Winnegamie Home Builders Association, located in Oshkosh. As people make their way through the busy mall they will find themselves noticing the bells ringing at every entrance they walk through. The bell ringers are the gatekeepers of lonely, cold holidays and spread happiness throughout the community. The Salvation Army is the most widely-recognized-holiday charity as they have existed since 1865. Their goal is to collect and donate money to seasonal services, veteran assistance, housing, and many other charitable causes. Their assistance not only brings peace to those who need it most, but they put smiles on faces of all who interact with ringers.

The holiday season is a time for joy and giving. Although times are busy and travel is hard, giving back is easier than ever before. Remember that while walking through the grocery store’s entrance and hearing the bells.