Diversity Fair Anchored in Rich, 17-Year History

This is part of the Diversity Poster created by Kathryn Fieldhack and Erin Schubin.

Zakary Will, Staff Writer

The 17th annual Diversity Fair will occur at the end of the week on Friday, consisting of an assembly and a variety of booths created by various school groups and communities.

For some NHS students, this year will mark their first Diversity Fair, others, their last, and everything in between. Despite the varied levels of attendance, it seems that many students know little about the history of the fair.

Jody Harrell, the adviser for Heart Group who has been helping organize the fair from the beginning, has graciously agreed to inform students about a few of the details.

According to Harrell, the Diversity Fair began 17 years ago, making it older than many current NHS students. The fair is, and has always been, a student-led event, interested in promoting diversity by highlighting the different groups and activities available at NHS.

The initial Diversity Fair was created by a club named Heart Group, which had been created by a student named Christiaan Smith as an Eagle Scout project. The original concept of the fair – highlighting the accomplishments made by various communities at NHS via informational booths – has remained largely the same.

Another aspect of the Diversity Fair largely unknown to students is the existence of “Fair Bucks.” These bucks, envisioned by Mr. Chris Rundquist, are available in limited amounts for teachers to distribute to their students. They are financially backed due to the generosity of Principal Wunderlich and the Heart Group, and they can be used as real money at the Diversity Fair.

These bucks are often distributed to students who are “kind, caring, helpful or deserving,” Harrell says. Fair Bucks support the idea that the NHS community is, as the Diversity Fair’s theme this year states: “Better Together.”

Students should also make sure to bring their own money, as a wide range of things are available for purchase. Teachers can bring classes to the fair. Even if they elect to continue classes as normal, all students are allowed to visit the fair during lunch.

Overall, the goal of the Diversity Fair is about getting together and demonstrating all of the things that make us unique. Or, as Harrell says, it is a celebration of “what makes us human.”