It Takes a Village to Host the Book Drive

Back to Article
Back to Article

The expression

The expression "It Takes a Village" is reflective of the efforts of required to host this event. 

Maddy Zitzelsberger, Student of Journalism

The annual book drive and sale, featured during the Helping Hands Art and Craft Show, netted its highest profit to date on Nov. 3.

Community consists of its citizens and people consist of their words. The most important place individuals find words are in books, which is precisely why NHS provides a book drive to show the importance and worth of books to build community.

The expression “It Takes a Village” is reflective of the efforts of required to host this event. 

For example, Mrs. Beth Plankey organizes the “drive” portion.  She collects books in her classes.  Her freshmen seminar class collects and sorts books.  Her CAPP Speech class organized donations via LAUNCH and promoted the drive.  Then the day before the sale, student muscle moves hundreds of books on carts to the fieldhouse lobby that have been sorted by genre. 

Freshman Lauren Sturgell, who sorted books, said that she knew her efforts were directed toward a good cause.  “I love volunteering because it’s a great way to give back to a community that’s done so much for me.” 

Freshman Josh Arneson donated 40 books to this year’s drive.  He explained that he recently moved; thus he needed to get rid of his old books.  “I enjoy supporting NHS,” he said of his decision.

Plankey values the event because of its positive effects on the school and community.  “It builds community and really encourages reading.” 

Plankey finds inspiration in the impact of the book drive and the level of civic engagement modeled by students and teachers.

Teachers Mrs. Molly Brown and Ms. Stephanie Pommerening burnied the midnight oil sorting books to appeal to potential customers.  Brown organizes the “sale” portion.

“It’s a lot of work sorting and arranging, but in the end it pays off,” Brown said.

The people of the city deserve not only books, but people who are willing to try and make a remarkable difference. This is a point not only believed in, but demonstrated by Plankey and Brown’s collaborative effort.

The first step to having a successful book drive is spreading the word to classes, especially seminars, which contain many willing applicants (since seminars with the most books earn a Dilly Bar party provided by HEART Club). 

All the money collected from the books goes toward a general fund for NHS students and families in need.

A total of $859.50 was collected from the used book sale with Plankey’s seminar winning the Dilly Bar party with 149 books.  Theide (106), Severson’s (73) Skogen (45) and LeMahieu (1) followed respectively.

In contrast, the Satellite documented last year’s total at $750, which is up $91 from 2016.

The annual book drive and sale, featured during the Helping Hands Art and Craft Show, continues to thrive and plan for the next year.

Reporter’s Note:  Working on this story exposed me to the book drive.  I donated to it as a result.  Please consider assembling a pile of books to donate next year.  It takes books to sell books, and volunteers are motivated to support the N.J.S.D. community!  

9 Comments

9 Responses to “It Takes a Village to Host the Book Drive”

1. Aliyah and Bri on November 19th, 2018 12:13 PM

Being part of Mrs. Plankey’s freshman seminar and helping out by sorting books gave us pride for helping the community.

2. Izze Murphy on November 19th, 2018 12:13 PM

I’m so glad I was able to work on this and give back to the community!

3. Nathan Tatro on November 19th, 2018 12:14 PM

It was a lot of fun to help set up the book drive as I am in Mrs. Plankey’s Freshman Seminar. It was worth while work to help raise money for NHS.

4. Bryce on November 19th, 2018 12:14 PM

This article is cool because my friend is in it and because it’s cool to see how much books were donated/bought.

5. Nick Hoffman on November 19th, 2018 12:53 PM

I think that it was great that the book drive raised a lot of money. I’m in Mrs. Plankey’s seminar class and we reached our goal of books sold or money made.

6. Mia Kinayman on November 19th, 2018 12:54 PM

I really like this article because it shows how strong of a community Neenah is! I loved how it incorporated the different students involved and seminars! very well written.

7. Josh Arnesonr on November 19th, 2018 12:56 PM

It is cool to see that students enjoy helping raise money for the school

8. Frank Slavinsky on November 19th, 2018 7:19 PM

I think the book drive is one of the more “hidden gems” at NHS, and it’s great to see student writing on the topic.

9. Payton Hanselman on December 5th, 2018 1:54 PM

This was a great event for even a better cause! Being in CAPP speech and having a part in the book drive’s success was really rewarding. It was a great way to support and provide necessities to Neenah families, and it also got the school active and into the idea of donating the books. Getting the seminars involved was a great way to kick off the drive. This is a great event held at Neenah High School and I hope it never goes away.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• It Takes a Village to Host the Book Drive

Classroom

N.J.S.D. Election for Hydroponics Units in Classrooms

Classroom

Musicians Prepare for the Upcoming State Solo & Ensemble Festival

• Classroom

Arts Education and the Effects on NHS

Community

Camp Onaway Hosts Summer Camp Opportunities

Community

Fox Cities Reads Festival Features Evicted by Matthew Desmond

• News

Neenah Makes History with 27th State Appearance

Classroom

How Art Inspires Students at NHS

Extracurricular

Introducing the Rocket Players Production of Failure: A Love Story

Community

Bergstrom Mahler Museum: Reflecting Perspectives Prompts Contemplation

News

NHS Continues to Hold the Top Spot on ACT Scores