Senior Hangs her Artwork Outside of the Cafeteria

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lion, giraffe and rhino canvases, created by senior Jenna Beyer, greet students outside the cafeteria.

Drew Karle, Student of Journalism

Three animals prints, created by a student of art, add to the recent changes in the hallways of NHS.

Last year, senior Jenna Beyer, took almost a whole semester to paint three animal canvases for her interior design class, which are now hung up outside of the cafeteria.

A big project for a petite girl can come off intimidating; however to Beyer, a painting is like a book, they both tell a story except one is written with a paint brush and the other with a pencil.

“I just really have gotten to love and appreciate art more. I like being challenged,” Beyer admits.

One picture is worth a thousand words. This is no different for Beyer’s animal canvases, which all have secret meanings behind them.

The lion represents leadership and strength. Beyer connects this meaning to Neenah High School by explaining the lion is a representation of Rocket/school pride. The giraffe in the painting is stretching his neck beyond his highest potential, like how students stress past their limits all the time to achieve their goals. Finally, the rhino is a reminder for students to keep a balance between everything in life as well as to stay responsible and smart throughout the school year.

According to Beyer, painting the animals was exciting. The road of creation lead Beyer down a bumpy trail with numerous fun twists. Beyer’s teacher from that year, Ms. Emma Santiago, admired Beyer, because she knew how long and tedious the process feels.

Santiago explained Beyer’s process:  “She began sketching out the geometric shapes that she thought would translate her ideas the best. Then she colored them in and created her idea for the color scheme that she thought would work the best as well. Once she had the idea finalized, she enlarged her images, projected them onto the wood, drew them on with pencil and then began the very long and tedious painting process.”

Although it took almost a whole semester to complete this project, Santiago could not have been prouder with the final result. After asking permission from Principal Brian Wunderlich, Beyer was granted permission to hang up her artwork this year.

According to Caravan Galleries, paintings need to be protected by glass, or a special seal, so the artwork does not fade, or get ruined over time; therefore, the art department will be sealing up Beyer’s canvases as well as posting the meanings of all the animals by Beyer’s art.

Beyer is currently working on three projects, the senior mural, a chair for an upcoming auction, and a painting of left and right brain for a project in Mr. Benjamin McDonald’s class.

Beyer has a full palate; however, the projects are not a chore for Beyer to do, because to Beyer, art is more than a hobby. It is a passion!

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Senior Hangs her Artwork Outside of the Cafeteria”

1. Mia Kinayman on November 19th, 2018 12:16 PM

I think this article does a fantastic job at showing us how art is such a big part of Neenah and does an amazing job on expressing how much Jenna really loves art! I think it positively reflects the image of Neenah High School and really ties into what the school stands for.

2. Esther Gauerke on November 19th, 2018 12:51 PM

I think that it is cool that the school allows students to show their talents and passions around the school. I like the idea of the animals symbolizing what the school is and how it can be shown in many different ways.

3. Nick Hoffman on November 19th, 2018 12:59 PM

That’s cool what all the pictures mean, I would have never guessed that they mean’t those certain things.

4. Olivia Lehrer on November 19th, 2018 2:03 PM

I really liked this story, I never knew there was meaning behind each of the paintings. It’s interesting to not only know more about the paintings, but about the artist too. I think it is impressive how she balances all of her project while still producing an amazing result.

5. Rumin Garcia on November 19th, 2018 2:04 PM

Having the artwork mean something is very clever. The meaning behind the artwork is also very cool as well.

6. Taylor Keen on November 19th, 2018 7:41 PM

It is so cool that students are able to put their work up in our school hallways. I love Jenna’s art and the meanings behind it!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Senior Hangs her Artwork Outside of the Cafeteria

Artwork

Illustration: Holiday Stress

Artwork

Drawing: Clash on the Field

Artwork

Drawing: New Year’s Embrace

Artwork

Shared Moment on Skates

Artwork

Snow Buddy Bond

Artwork

Drawing: Autumn Friends

Artwork

Illustration: Holiday Stress

Student Life

NHS Provides Work and ACT Opportunities to Students

Features

#WhyI Write Raising Awareness of Literacy

News

Food Drive: Orbit Restocked by Community