District Considers Changes for 2019-’20 School Year

The Administration Building is the site of the N.J.S.D. Board of Education meeting on Tuesday. The agenda features three proposals for the 2019-’20 school year.

Jason Fisher, Student of Journalism

The N.J.S.D. Board of Education will meet Tuesday at the Administration Building to discuss three proposals for the 2019-’20 school year.

Some of the proposals affecting NHS include a schoolwide implementation of target-based grading (TBG), a massive overhaul of class schedules, and safety improvements to the building.

Target-based grading

One of the most publicized proposals for next year is the addition of target-based grading, previously known as standards-based grading. The system has seen limited implementation in the school so far, and has proved controversial among students and staff.

“I think it’s something the school is doing for its image, to make more people graduate,” explained freshman Ashlyn Jacobs, whose speech and Spanish classes are using TBG. Jacobs further expressed frustration at a lack of feedback she is receiving from her teachers, and lamented that the system made it difficult to do well in advanced classes. This is because of the scores of 1, 2 and 3 being translated into letter grades as F, D and A respectively, which means that all scores must be perfect to pass.

Jacobs is not alone in her opposition to TBG. A recent poll, posted on the Satellite,  found that 74 percent of students oppose the planned full implementation of TBG next year as of publication date.

Some teachers, however, have spoken in favor of TBG. “I think it gives you a way to better measure student performance,”  history and economics teacher Andrew Laluzerne said.

Schedule overhaul

Word of an extensive overhaul of the daily schedule has spread across NHS. Assistant Principal Tim Kachur explained that the school may replace the current daily schedule with a block schedule. Under such a plan, the current layout of seven 50-minute classes per day would be replaced with four 90-minute classes per day, with classes meeting on alternating days. Kachur spoke in support of the proposal, saying that the plan would be “incredible” for NHS.

Kachur said that he had a chance to work with two other schools in the state.  “I’ve gotten amazing feedback from students, teachers, parents, and guidance counselors.”

The Glossary of Education Reform, compiled by the New England-based nonprofit Great Schools Partnership, has listed more innovative lesson plans, and a smaller burden on students and teachers among pros of block scheduling.

The plan, however, seems to have galvanized fierce opposition from students. Junior Logan Laabs has launched a change.org petition asking Principal Brian Wunderlich to cancel the plans. The petition has 174 signatures as of Nov. 9, and lists lack of continuity among classes and lack of scientific support among the reasons to oppose block scheduling.

Other plans

Other proposals for the 2019-’20 school year are the addition of new courses in computer science and graphic design, and ways to make school facilities more secure. The district received a $379,852 grant from the state Department of Justice in October, and part of the board meeting will be a discussion on how to use the money. Kachur explained that any major changes that passed would be decided by referendum next April.

“It’s up to you as students and teachers to give feedback, and we’ll improve as we need to,” Kachur said.

The school board meeting will be held Nov. 13 from 5 to 7 p.m. A final vote is expected Nov. 20.