Coming Soon, Neenah Without Borders 2020 Launch

Mr. Borchardt hopes to release several trips each fall for new students to encounter, and with the dedication being painted on the wall outside the cafeteria, no one can forget what is out there to discover.

Trina Freeders, Student of Journalism

Neenah Without Borders, a program to be released in 2020, summons student’s questions in anticipation of world travel.

“I thought how cool would it be if we offered more trips for more appeals anything from science to service to history to drama or art,” says teacher Mr. Brian Borchardt providing explanation to a few divisions of trips.

As an alternative to AFS, traveling abroad, students can dip their toe into experiencing the world without being away too long. Different categories were chosen from a range of topics to ensure that those who wanted to travel could adhere to their interests. Though no fundraising opportunities currently exist, the year 2020 was specifically chosen as a launch date to allow students and their families to set payment markers and save up before the grand adventure.

In addition to diverse categories and sufficient time for payments, these locations are specifically chosen to secure safety. Borchardt explained his current situation for an upcoming 2019 trip where he had to switch destinations after discovering their previous spot was determined unsafe.

With safety in mind and teachers guiding the trips, traveling in high school has become a safer more supervised experience with lower costs.

To describe every trip would take years; therefore, three have been overviewed to allow a peek into the unknown world.

London, England- June 2020

Just one of the trips offered by EF Tours and chosen to be apart of Neenah Without Borders is labeled Curtain Time in London led by Mr. Aaron Hoffman.

This trip costs roughly $3,000 dollars.

Shown on the EF Tours website is a full itinerary, but a few keys destinations are to staple London locations then heading to a famous theater. This trip is tapered to those fascinated by drama and the arts. After strolling past the Big Ben and other famous attractions, those in attendance will have the opportunity to experience a theater workshop hosted by a London drama studio.

This week long vacation allows students to learn and gain real experience in the theatrical lifestyle.

Galapagos Islands- July 2020

Also associated to EF Tours, Ecuador, specifically the Galapagos Islands, is an additional trip that can be taken in 2020. Led by Mrs. Molly Brown, a science teacher, this learning adventure costs about $3,500.

This opportunity focuses on science, which means studying and learning from unknown creatures.

“To go somewhere I’ve never been before and explore and just have a fun experience with friends and Mrs. Brown” Payton McNeely, a senior attending the trip in a year and a half, says.

From wild tortoises to a flamingo habit, animals will be observed and noted as the trip continues. Continually, the trip offers snorkeling and boat tours to see fish and other wildlife in the world underwater. Aside from science, small towns are visited with markets and museums to further the knowledge gained.

With this trip lasting over a week, students with come home hopefully with new facts to rattle off to their parents.

Tanzania- June 2020

Starting off with an overnight flight to Africa, EF Tours has yet again booked a full-fledged trip with attribution to service. The creator of Neenah Without Borders, Borchardt, leds this excursion with the estimated price of $4,700.

“The idea of Africa is just this unknown,” Borchardt said with enthusiasm — excited that 19 people have already signed up to go.

Since the trip is over a year away, the service project cannot be chosen, but it will fall under one of five categories. Education, health, clean water and sanitation, alternative income and livelihood and agricultural and food science are the options for lending a helping hand. Aside from providing service, students get a day of rest to take a safari and see the wildlife of Africa.

After 11 days in the savannah, students come home after indulging on a local meal.

With the highlights of three trips covering three different continents, attributions can be given to Borchardt for setting up the program. He hopes to release several trips each fall for new students to encounter, and with the dedication being painted on the wall outside the cafeteria, no one can forget what is out there to discover.