Physics Students Teach Others Through Haunted Physics Lab

With the lights dimmed like a haunted house, the classroom provided a spooky atmosphere. Fourteen exhibits were set up around the room, all with Halloween themes.

Claudia Miller, Student of Journalism

Physics students hosted a haunted physics lab during lunch from Oct. 31 to Nov. 2 with access granted through the lecture pits.

According to student of physics Brandon Schmall it took about four days to set up, and it ran for three days.  On Halloween, it was open to certain freshman seminars. The next day, it was open to anyone during lunches A and C, and the last day it was open to administrators and those who missed it the previous day.

Neenah’s haunted physics lab was not the only one of its kind. According to Arbor Scientific, Creighton University physics professor Tom Zepf came up with the idea of a haunted physics lab over 20 years ago.

The haunted physics lab helped the physics students share their knowledge. Each student set up two exhibits alone or with a partner. Additionally, the students were responsible for sharing their knowledge with those who attended the lab.

The visual illusions present in the lab gave the room the feel of a mad scientist’s lab; however, the exhibits present in Neenah’s lab were far more grounded in reality.

For example, using a mirror at a 45 degree angle, a box looked empty, but a secret compartment in the top hid a small ghost, physics student Gerald Rott (senior) explained.

Acting as teachers themselves, the physics students gave educational explanations to all those who attended the lab.

“Being able to demonstrate how much fun this zero hour class is to students, freshmen to seniors, as well as administrators was the best part — showing what we all do in the advanced physics classes,” Schmall said.

Overall, the students who hosted the lab experienced a unique opportunity to improve their skills through teaching others. Schmall hopes that the haunted physics lab helped other people learn something new.