Renovations Begin for Community Music & Arts Collaborative

The idea to start a music school in its own building has been a lifelong dream of Stein’s.  Now, with sponsors and a nonprofit system in place, it was finally made possible.

Solon Ramos, Student of Journalism

The new and upcoming nonprofit music school in Neenah is being renovated this month to host its own performances and events, representatives say.  

Having been operational for over a full year now, the Community Music and Arts Collaborative, formally Kurt Stein’s School of Music, located on South Commercial Street in Neenah is currently experiencing a transformation. The main reception area of the building is being torn out and built back into an open area in the center of the building. After that, hardwood flooring will replace the carpet and a movable stage will be constructed at the back of the space.

“Our vision is to increase our ensembles here as well as just give our students more opportunities to perform,” community representative Katy Golichnik said.

Ensembles are groups of student musicians learning to play a variety of music as a group. There is an advanced group Monday nights, beginner group on Tuesday, intermediate on Wednesday nights, a strings group on Thursdays as well as a little feet toddler music class. The groups learn from a wide selection of genres through methods most students have not practiced before.

At the head of a number of these groups and performances is Kurt Stein.  He has been a teacher for over 20 years and has developed his own way of teaching unique to himself.

“I want to teach students there’s so much more out there than what you hear on the radio. I want to help them find why they are still playing,” Stein said.

The idea to start a music school in its own building has been a lifelong dream of Stein’s.  Now, with sponsors and a nonprofit system in place, it was finally made possible. Two years ago, this was an idea. Now that everything has fallen in place for these musicians, progress is on the rise.

With over 10 teachers, according to the website, and new classes being offered, the dream that was once this building is finally becoming a reality.