Renovations Begin for Community Music & Arts Collaborative

Back to Article
Back to Article

The idea to start a music school in its own building has been a lifelong dream of Stein’s.  Now, with sponsors and a nonprofit system in place, it was finally made possible.

Solon Ramos, Student of Journalism

The new and upcoming nonprofit music school in Neenah is being renovated this month to host its own performances and events, representatives say.  

Having been operational for over a full year now, the Community Music and Arts Collaborative, formally Kurt Stein’s School of Music, located on South Commercial Street in Neenah is currently experiencing a transformation. The main reception area of the building is being torn out and built back into an open area in the center of the building. After that, hardwood flooring will replace the carpet and a movable stage will be constructed at the back of the space.

“Our vision is to increase our ensembles here as well as just give our students more opportunities to perform,” community representative Katy Golichnik said.

Ensembles are groups of student musicians learning to play a variety of music as a group. There is an advanced group Monday nights, beginner group on Tuesday, intermediate on Wednesday nights, a strings group on Thursdays as well as a little feet toddler music class. The groups learn from a wide selection of genres through methods most students have not practiced before.

At the head of a number of these groups and performances is Kurt Stein.  He has been a teacher for over 20 years and has developed his own way of teaching unique to himself.

“I want to teach students there’s so much more out there than what you hear on the radio. I want to help them find why they are still playing,” Stein said.

The idea to start a music school in its own building has been a lifelong dream of Stein’s.  Now, with sponsors and a nonprofit system in place, it was finally made possible. Two years ago, this was an idea. Now that everything has fallen in place for these musicians, progress is on the rise.

With over 10 teachers, according to the website, and new classes being offered, the dream that was once this building is finally becoming a reality.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Renovations Begin for Community Music & Arts Collaborative”

1. Gage Ramos on November 19th, 2018 12:52 PM

Good job brother, hopefully people will see the true beauty of the school and get the motivation to check out the school.

2. Sophie Zeamer on November 19th, 2018 2:02 PM

This was a really great article and I would have never known this was going on! I think it would be really great if you could keep us updated with future events and high school students that are involved!

3. Emma Kroll on November 19th, 2018 2:05 PM

I find it incredible that this man, Kurt Stein, has finally been able to reach his goal of opening a music school. The quotes from Stein himself provide great insight into how he’s feeling, his emotion conveyed clearly through his diction. Stein’s dedication to teaching children in the community more about music is seen clearly through the number of classes he provides and the effort he has put out in order to achieve his dream.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Renovations Begin for Community Music & Arts Collaborative

Community

American Heart Association Red Out Events Featured on February’s Calendar

Community

Plans to Improve Safety Exist

Community

Community Event: Neenah Paints the Town

• Community

Press Release: Hit and Run

Community

Neenah’s Hall of Fame Grows Larger

Community

Best Friends Begins Its Year: Youth Mentoring Youth

Community

Neenah Clock Tower Celebrates a Lifetime and a Half

Community

Support for the Struggling: How Neenah Reaches Out to Homeless Students

Community

Home-comers Shape Legacy of NHS

Community

Students Express Importance of Art within NHS Community to Gov. Walker