Plans to Improve Safety Exist

Mason Jones, Student of Journalism

Following recent shootings around the nation, higher safety precautions are being taken at Neenah High School to protect students from a possible shooting staff members say.

Throughout the past few years, school shootings have increased. While this is hard to watch, NHS needs plans to prevent this type of scenario in school.

School shootings are not specific to one place, one race or one religion. The threat is constant and it is real — no matter the school.

A recent study conducted by ABC News, by mid-February of 2018, there had already been 18 school shootings in the USA, which includes shootings where a gun was fired without causing injury.

With over 18 school shootings this year, it is time to start upgrading security and drills.

Mr. William Bauer is that guy behind the cameras. The one making sure everything is running smoothly.  

According to Bauer, It is really painful to see how many school shootings there are, to turn on the news in the morning and see another school shooting that could have been prevented.”

Considering how real the threat of a school shooting remains, school security is a top priority for Neenah.

“The three R’s used to be reading, ‘riting and ‘rithmetic. However, in the modern-day climate of fear, the three R’s have also become risk, readiness and response with regards to gun violence,”  James Alan fox and Emma E. Fridel in The Wiley Handbook on Violence in Education: Forms, Factors, and Prevention said

In addition to the new three R’s, there are a number of other options schools have in the event of a shooting.

One of these is the ALICE program.  This plan focuses on actions that create noise, movement, distance and distraction with the intent of reducing the shooter’s ability to shoot accurately. Now schools all over the United States are taking training programs through ALICE to help prevent these shootings.

ALICE stands for Alert, Lock down, Inform, Counter, Evacuate, which is incorporated into drills here. In Neenah,  a hybrid between ALICE and a standard lock down is used.

“The security needs to be upgraded at our school, actually change that, all schools,” Bauer said.  Ultimately, he knows preparation is underway.  

For example, grant money is targeted to put a few things in play, which will enhance safety. The project in total would cost $5 million and create secure entry sequences and other security improvements at every school. This money would also go to remote locking doors, new cameras with up to date and real time technology and a front desk (door three) to make that area more secure.  

“The kids here are just like my own kids, and I take their safety to heart. And they all mean a lot to me, Bauer said.  “It is a number one priority to get this building safe.” 

NHS features 187 doors that have to be locked everyday. This is a big building, so the use of a different style of drill is needed. Instead of sticking to a single drill, administration wants students to think on their feet and do what makes the most sense for them and others safety.

Safety is important and should be a priority of all staff, students and parents who promote a positive learning environment.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Plans to Improve Safety Exist”

1. Lauren Sturgell on November 19th, 2018 12:53 PM

I had no idea how many doors Neenah has that need to be locked every day, but I had no idea the amount is so high.

2. Nick Hoffman on November 19th, 2018 1:06 PM

I think that’s awesome that our school is taking measures to protect our school and students.

3. Emma Sullivan on November 19th, 2018 1:53 PM

This article was very interesting! It is unbelievable that there have been over 18 school shootings so far and we are only a few months into the school year. With this said, it is reassuring that Neenah is trying to upgrade security and keep us safe. I hope that by raising awareness among the school and putting different measures into place, we can avoid being put in a dangerous situation.

4. Michael Arndt on November 19th, 2018 2:06 PM

As a senior this year, I was unaware of these happenings at the high school. I have been used to the drills every year but did not realize what went into these drills. I also found it very interesting that we are getting grant money to put toward this project. I knew the high school had lots of doors but I was not aware of the full amount of doors at the high school. It improves my respect for our janitors that have to lock and unlock these doors every day.

5. Frank Slavinsky on November 19th, 2018 7:59 PM

I appreciate the depth your article goes into on ALICE. At my work place, we have to do a quarterly “e-learning” on a similar program, which makes me wonder why the school does not implement/ have such an activity.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Plans to Improve Safety Exist

Community

Renovations Begin for Community Music & Arts Collaborative

• Plans to Improve Safety Exist

Community

Community Event: Neenah Paints the Town

• Community

Press Release: Hit and Run

• Plans to Improve Safety Exist

Community

Neenah’s Hall of Fame Grows Larger

• Plans to Improve Safety Exist

Community

Best Friends Begins Its Year: Youth Mentoring Youth

• Plans to Improve Safety Exist

Community

Neenah Clock Tower Celebrates a Lifetime and a Half

• Plans to Improve Safety Exist

Community

Support for the Struggling: How Neenah Reaches Out to Homeless Students

• Plans to Improve Safety Exist

Community

Home-comers Shape Legacy of NHS

• Plans to Improve Safety Exist

Community

Students Express Importance of Art within NHS Community to Gov. Walker

• Plans to Improve Safety Exist

Community

Herb Kohl Educational Foundation Awarded to NHS Staff Member and Student

Plans to Improve Safety Exist