Food Drive: Orbit Restocked by Community

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Orbit was created to service students in need.  What started as an idea for a small food closet to provide snacks to underprivileged students has since expanded this school year to a fully fledged resource with items essential to daily life.

The Orbit was created to service students in need. What started as an idea for a small food closet to provide snacks to underprivileged students has since expanded this school year to a fully fledged resource with items essential to daily life.

Emilee Wise, Editor-in-Chief

The Thanksgiving food drive hosted by Sources of Strength the week before Thanksgiving break successfully collected food and monetary donations for students in need.
Food donations went to stock the Orbit’s shelves while monetary funds were used to purchase Thanksgiving meals for families who otherwise could not afford them.  First mod students and teachers competed for the most donations in hopes for a spectacular yet unknown prize announced via Rocket News.
“The Orbit is great for Neenah, not only in providing clothes and school materials to those who struggle purchasing those items for themselves but also in what is stands for as a representation that we care about helping everyone as a community,” senior Blake Emerich said.
Donation competition victors won a prize titled “Pastries with Pups,” which includes a morning of donuts and other sweet treats spent with cuddly therapy dogs.
Classroom (mod. 1) winners include:  Mr. Travis McDonough, Mrs. Beth Plankey, Mrs. Dianne Calcaterra, Ms. Wendy Hermans, Mrs. Sarah Roblee and Mr. Bruce Moriarty.