Athlete Loses Another Season to ACL

Samara Sims patting her teammate on the back after a big play.

Amanda Argalll, Student of Journalism

Samara Sims enters high school eager to compete in four fulfilling years of high school basketball.

As a 6-foot freshman, those years will likely be filled with success as well. Her freshman season is highly anticipated, until a week before tryouts when her knee gave out while in attempt to block a shot.

“I heard a pop . . . I knew something was very wrong.”

A week later, Samara is informed that she tore her ACL and will be out of sports for the next 7 months.

She feels scared. 

She feels nervous about everything — the surgery, the long recovery and returning to basketball.

Samara sits the bench freshman year. Her teammates compete. She watches knowing the months of grueling rehab that lie ahead before she will be able to do the same.

Two years roll by. It is the summer before Samara’s senior year. Her injury is nothing but a memory; however, she experiences flashbacks one night coming down for a rebound.

“I felt a few quick pops. In the back of my mind I thought something wasn’t right but I was in denial.”

Her denial allows her to play another game. A game in which her knee gives out twice. At this point, Samara has come to terms with her likely fate.

She is later diagnosed with another torn ACL.

She reflects: “I felt deflated and like I wanted to give up because I didn’t want to go through it again. I thought it was unfair.”

As a senior, Samara makes her way to the bench before games to cheer on her team. 

She admits that she misses it. 

“It’s bittersweet to watch my team play when I know I won’t be able to again.”

In spite of all the inconveniences, Samara understands.

She leaves her high school basketball career better prepared to overcome any obstacle thrown at her in the future.