Life of a Student Athlete at NHS

Sophomore Nicole Makope has a passion for sports and a vision for her future.

Bella Brackin, Student of Journalism

In 10th grade and attending NHS, Nicole Makope has a passion for sports and a vision for her future.

She participates in sports her whole life, including gymnastics, swimming and track, and she will be trying cross country next year. Nicole, however, discovers her passion in track and field.

For the past four years, Nicole competes in track — specializing in the 100 and 200 meter dash.  She experiments with high jump last year, and this coming season she plans to attempt the  400 meter dash, as well as long jump.

In the future, Nicole wants to pursue track at the collegiate level.

By setting goals, discipline, training, and with the help of coaches and teammates, she knows she can make it far.

She has set a goal for herself to make it to state this year and through the rest of her high school career as well.

Nicole is one for following her dreams, and her biggest dream would to be an All-American track athlete in college.

She plans for her future as a student athlete, putting her best efforts into both her grades and her athletics.

As for her school work goes, Nicole admits it can be hard to juggle good grades with athletics sometimes, but she makes sure to communicate with her teachers and coaches in order to not fall behind.

“I’ve learned using my class time wisely and communicating with my teachers allows me to keep my grades up and still be able to fully participate in track.”

Nicole trains year round in order to achieve her athletic goals. Currently, she lifts and does sprinting workouts twice a week. Once the season starts, she practices with the team everyday, which includes a variety of different skill sets and pushing herself to her limits to better her performance everyday.

“Participating in track and any sport for that matter has taught me that in order to get somewhere and be successful, you have to work for it.”