Referendum View: Look into Shattuck Middle School

Back to Article
Back to Article

Olivia Widmer, Student of Journalism

Walking around the halls of Shattuck Middle School, taxpayers may start to notice things about the school that make it unique. Whether these traits are desirable or not, it is what numerous people are wondering.  In terms of the referendum, people are questioning:  What will the referendum do to the building?  How it will change the lives of middle school students?

The referendum is a plan to build a new school for the middle schoolers in place of Shattuck, which has been around since the 1920s.  The hefty $129.6 million referendum ranks as the fifth most expensive request for funds in Wisconsin history, according to an online database used by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.

When I walked around the halls of Shattuck, I saw quite a few interesting aspects of it. When reflecting on the demolition, I reached out to Mrs. Samantha Johnson, a teacher who works at the middle school.  She expressed concern for the process and preservation.  For example,  she noted that some of the doors and shelves were around since the school was built, making it apart of Shattuck’s history.

I noticed quite a few things as well.  Perhaps it was all of the beautiful art that students made that covered the walls, or how it was exactly the same as how it was left from previous years.

As a former student at Shattuck Middle School, I felt quite overwhelmed as I discovered all of the things I left behind when I came to the high school. Although some of these things were quite charming, like the old cracked tiles in the bathrooms, and the exposed brick walls. I do feel as if some of these things could be fixed and renovated with the new building.

Attached to this article is a selection of photos that show Shattuck for what it really is — a piece of history in the Neenah Joint School District.

Nostalgia aside, to be better informed on this issue, the district hosts a cite that specifies the details (What’s included) of the referendum.  It illustrates the wording on the ballet (Ballet Question) for the referendum.  Additionally, it provides a forum for concerns that can be addressed by district officials.  https://www.neenah.k12.wi.us/referendum/

The vote for the referendum is April 2.

1 Comment

One Response to “Referendum View: Look into Shattuck Middle School”

1. Aidan Schmidt on March 18th, 2019 11:57 AM

Here’s my opinion, you can take it and run with it or don’t, but vote no for the referendum. Because 1. Shatuck to me, is a part of Wisconsin history. All it needs is just a remodeling while sticking with the old design from 1928. Reason #2: Just because you throw more taxpayer money at schools, doesn’t mean more better grades because for two reasons, and I know this probably sounds like an excuse but we have the internet to learn more and more people are at home learning online and if you are wonder why the u.s average test scores were less than Finland’s average scores above all things, this is one reason why. Finally reason #3: The taxpayer money that would have to be spent will go towards the future house owners and would have to pay more for taxes and would work even harder than ever before, I recomend that money go towards something acttuly useful like hospitals, fire and police departments, et cetera.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Referendum View:  Look into Shattuck Middle School

Investigations

Neenah Referendum: Vote Yes or Vote No

Digital Learning

Origin of Digital Learning: Decade in the Making

Digital Learning

Digital Learning Days: The New Solution to Bad Weather

School Lunches

Underclassmen Offer Insight: Hot Lunch Propaganda

Investigations

Director of Learning and Leadership Spends Time to Talk about Replacement Credit

• Investigations

Controversy Exists Concerning P.E. Requirements

Digital Learning

Digital Learning from the Eye of an Administrator

• Investigations

NHS Vegetarian and Vegan Lunch Options Explored

Investigations

Referendum: Students Encouraged to Vote

• Investigations

Teachers and Coaches Express Viewpoints about Credit Change