Students Stresses the Benefits from Arete’s Hands-on Education

Photo courtesy of Paige VanHandel.

Courtney Craddock, Student of Journalism

Entering a new part of life is nerve wreaking, being in a sea of unfamiliar people and new experiences. High school can be scary, especially if trying out a new program. Sophomore Kristen James started freshman year in the Arete program. Arete is a project-based learning system where students can show what they learned in a nontraditional setting. Kristen says that she enjoys that Arete gives her a new perspective on education. 

Kristen struggles with talking in front of people.

“Being with the same people every day really helped my confidence as well as allowed me to get better at public speaking.”

She is learning to reach out of her comfort zone and become more involved with people and the community. She also said that Arete is a great alternative for anyone looking for more of a hands-on learning environment. 

Kristen says that one thing she really enjoys is Genius Hour.  She clarifies that it is where we work together to create a community project.

Four Arete students decide to work together to create a presentation about being prepared for high school. Then, standing on stage in front of the student body of Shattuck Middle School they start speaking, overcoming anxieties and fears to educate future students.

“We talked about expanding your social circle and meeting new people because that’s what high school is about.” 

Overall, she thinks that it’s a great thing to be able to help others in the community through the Arete program. Kristen urges more people should get involved and try to make a difference, and Arete provides the perfect place to do that.

Beyond expanding social circles and making projects, Arete students also form lasting connections. Kristen is becoming closer with many amazing teachers at NHS; She will always have these great role models in her life.