Mother Advocates in Favor of Foreign Exchange Trips

Karen Schumacher in Uruguay, South America 1975. Photo courtsey of Karen.

Hannah Farrell, Student of Journalism

Karen Schumacher, graduated from Waukesha South High School

Traveled to Uruguay, South America 1975

Bethany Schumacher, graduated from University of Wisconsin-Madison

Traveled to Marseilles, France 2013-’14

Rachel Schumacher, graduated from Menasha High School and University of Wisconsin-Madison

Traveled to Ecuador, South America 2009-20010 and Italy 2012-’14

Noelle Schumacher, enrolled at Neenah High School

Traveled to Angol, Chile 2018-’19

As the above documentation confirms, Karen Schumacher’s family models the value of studying abroad.

Karen, the mom of nine, has a handful of daughters that have taken the opportunity to travel abroad. Most recently her daughter Noelle goes off to Chile for 11 months. Going through the Rotary Youth Foreign Exchange Program, Karen says even down to her dental records there is a crazy amount of paper work, 28 pages to be exact, interviews and retreats. She and Rotary ensure safety. 

Karen encourages parents to talk to Rotary if thinking about foreign exchange. 

“I think Rotary does a really good job. They prepare the kids. They let you know what’s going on; they’re very up front about finances.” 

Communication is tricky. Rotary encourages students to not contact their family and friends from home because of the experience they would be missing. Karen says a difficult thing to manage but important. 

“I feel like she’s open, more communicative, more confident in what she can do. She still has issues where she does not suffer fools but that’s a family issue.” 

Soon after the room fills with laughter.

She raises a  family who encourages each other to be open minded and to take opportunities.

“This is going to excel her.  It might show her what she wants career wise or life wise. At the very least it provides a whole different perspective on the world.”