Student Creates Magazine Comprised of Local Artists

Senior Hannah Farrell’s recent project is Preen, her own magazine, comprised of art and writings of local artists.

Noelle Schumacher, Student of Journalism

Not many highschoolers are able to jump-start their creative careers the way Hannah Farrell, class of 2020 at NHS has.

Since she’s been young, she’s been creative and innovative, breaking outside the traditional views of the people around her and building new paths. Her most recent project, Preen, is her own magazine –comprised of art and writings of local artists.

It starts out as an open-ended school project assigned with the goal of “creating something important that would have an impact on someone or something.” As soon as she starts working on it, she knows it is something she wants to continue. Her magazine has been her passion since the second semester of her sophomore year.

She accepts applications from everyone, but tries to include art that she feels comes from an original, outside-the-box place of self expression. She agrees it can be difficult to get to that headspace, and recommends that beginning artists don’t limit themselves.

“Self judgement is the biggest creative block for me; when I first started out I always tried to have a certain style or originality, but that just comes with time and practice.”

Experience is the best teacher, and Hannah’s come a long way since freshman year. She recounts the difficulty she had continuing with her project throughout junior year; a difficult year academically and emotionally, especially after her dad passes away. She says that knowing her dad would be proud of her motivates her to keep going.

Her goal for her magazine is that it is an outlet for artists where they can be appreciated for their originality and skill.

“I want it to involve everyday people that face everyday issues so that we can give new generations this feeling of freedom and self expression and belonging.”