National Merit Semifinalist Serves as More than a Number

Emily Stingle and Kya Meunier

As a scholar, feminist, minority and competitor, Bella Mullally presides as a powerhouse at NHS. 

Like a dolphin in a sea of minnows, Mullally’s charming and unique personality sets her apart from other students and allows her to connect with all people, staff and students alike.

Throughout her time at NHS, Mullally has gained a list of impressive academic awards and achievements: she is one of 5,000 National Hispanic Scholars, an AP scholar with distinction, and National Merit Scholar Semifinalist. 

These statistics are the result of Compass Education Group, an online tutoring and higher-education promoting publication.

According to the National Merit Scholarship Corporation, only the top 16,000 PSAT scorers become semifinalists. Of those, 15,000 become finalists, and ultimately, only 7,500 receive a scholarship. Mullally hopes her leadership roles will help her to become one of the few scholarship recipients.

Ultimately, Mullally aims to be more than just a National Merit Scholar Semifinalist — she wants to leave a legacy on NHS through her involvement and enthusiasm. 

Mullally feels her leadership roles and extracurricular accomplishments define her the most. She serves as National Honor Society President, LAUNCH captain and executive, Sources of Strength Executive, and three time letter winner in Powerlifting (state and national level competitor).

“There’s no point in being anything less than the best version of yourself,” she says. “You have to help other people to have a great community. It’s about more than just me and my grades. It’s just about doing things for the people of Neenah High School and making this place better.”

Not only does Mullally want to improve NHS, but she wants to do the same for the United States. Many high-achieving students aim for elite and Ivy League Schools, but Mullally’s definition of elite differs from her peers. For her, the US Air Force Academy remains her ultimate dream. Rather than taking her accomplishments and using them for self gain she chooses to stay humble by giving back through serving our country. The highly prestigious and honorable USAFA also allows Mullally to pay respect to her father, who recently retired after 33 years in the Marine Corps. 

As Mullally rises into powerful roles, she aspires to serve as a role model and inspiration to young girls who want to enter the service or aspire to be an academic scholar. Given that Mullally is Nicaraguan and female, she represents a larger population of young girls. 

Mullally passionately shares the message that intelligence is not the most important quality of any person — she simply offers the advice: “No days off. Work hard. Stay humble.”