Foreign Exchange Student Anticipates Christmas: The Year with a Santa Claus

Jacob Schwartz, Student of Journalism

In 1967 Albania was declared the world’s first Atheist country when its dictator destroyed all religious sites and holidays including Christmas.  The dictatorship was destroyed in the 1990s, yet its impacts are still resounding asnoted in the Balkin Transitional Justice.

Erjon Ravolli presents a stoic exterior that combined with his brooding eastern-European accent exudes self-control, while his cold blue eyes emit an intensity for the American way of life that only a foreign exchange student from Albania can produce.  

Moving to a new country can be scary and intimidating with strange rules and customs in addition to a language barrier presenting foreign exchange students with unique challenges to fit in: Ravolli has risen to the challenge and lived, “the best months in my life,” focusing on making friends and enjoying his high school experience.

Academics, extracurriculars and attending the prom are what Ravolli believes makes American high school sui generis, and he is pursuing that uniqueness like a cat pursues a mouse.

He has filled his schedule with special courses not offered in his home country to maximize his potential. Cross country filled his nights and made him friends, while Lacrosse makes him work to make the team. The highlight of high school, prom is an experience that is getting his hopes up to get down with his newfound friends.

His zeal for authentic American experiences is not limited to high school; he enjoys Wisconsin Cuisine, competing in cross country, but more than anything else he is looking forward to celebrating his first Christmas. The World Atlas notes a small amount of Christians in the country and these low levels, caused by the religious purges during its dictatorial period, have effectively ended the Christmas traditions in Albania. Once he learned about the yuletide season and the celebration and gift-giving surrounding Dec. 23 intrigue set in and seeing the way people have celebrated Halloween and decorated their homes has heightened his anticipation for America’s favorite holiday. 

The differences between America and Albania go far beyond their holidays though, differences in, school, law and culture are all glaringly apparent to Ravolli. 

In Albania, Ravolli attends a school far from home that emphasizes STEM with rotating teachers and a fixed schedule, here he can pursue his talents in a variety of ways with a variety of teachers. 

In Albania, Ravolli cannot drive until he turns 18, here he is surprised to see friends driving themselves to school.

In Albania, Ravolli does not talk to or get greeted by strangers.

“I have seen that people are very nice to each other; they greet each time they see each other.”

While life in America is different from life in Albania in many ways, Ravolli has embraced the change and looks forward to the excitement it brings in all facets of his life.