Unrest About Main Lot Parking Arises as Student Body Grows

Neenah+High+School+Parking+Lot+B+

Photo by: Courtney Craddock

Neenah High School Parking Lot B

Courtney Craddock, Student of Journalism

Students this year are voicing their distaste with main lot parking.

“We need a bigger parking lot and there needs to be more action taken when somebody steals someone else’s spot,” junior Halle Weid said. 

NHS students rank the parking lot a three on a five-point scale in a recent survey conducted on Schoology with administrative permission.

Generally, students enjoy that the parking lot provides easy access to the building during the cold and rainy days, but that is where the compliments end.

There is an abundance of negativity surrounding the main lot; everything from parking stall size to snow removal in the winter. 

There were many complaints listed about the lack of parking around NHS. According to the Neenah website, there are 283 reservable parking spaces and there are a little over 500 seniors in the class of 2020. The parking lot is unable to accommodate all students with licenses, let alone just the seniors. 

“The parking lot is a chaotic mess to say the least. Any day that I need to leave immediately after school is very stressful as I need to run to my spot, get in my car, and leave as soon as possible in hopes of getting out . . . The horseshoe shape, as it may be good for the buses and dropping students off is an overall nightmare for the students parked within it.”

Many students are forced to either wait in the building for the parking lot to clear out or sit in their car, wasting gas, until someone is nice enough to free them from their parking spot.

Overall, students are upset and parents trying to pick up their kids are frustrated. The community at NHS unanimously agree that something should be done to fix the parking situation at NHS.