Performing Teaches Neenah Student the Value of Emotion

Photo by: Michelle Schneider

Senior Sean Price strives for an emotional connection with his audience.

Maddie Keeley, Student of Journalism

It’s common to worry about forgetting lines, anticipate a disaster such as a clothing malfunction, and experience  hesitation when facing the stage.

“What if they don’t find amusement in my comedic shows?”  

For Sean Price, a senior, this runs through his mind. He’s convinced that the audience will not appreciate his performance. Yet, he realizes that in his acting, the careful decisions he makes enable him to do wonders for the audience, giving them the chance to express both joy and sorrow in a matter of seconds.

Price strives for an emotional connection with his audience.

His urge to continue in the performing arts seems to interfere with his dreams. Being in theatre, band, orchestra, and show choir, big decisions are at stake when thinking about life after high school. If he cannot find a way to pursue a career in the performing arts, he’d like to double major with science in order to resume doing what he loves most.

And what he loves most is the thrill of producing amusement on stage for an eager population.

It starts when Price is dragged to see Fiddler on the Roof with his mother. He soon finds himself stepping onto Pickard stage for Seussical, suddenly drowning in his own thoughts, unable to feel welcome. That is, until long-time performing arts students begin to build a home for him in the auditorium.

“At my first showcase, my heart was racing, and I was simply focused on appealing to the audience.”

And that’s what an awesome performer does for his audience.

He is able to make them feel something.

In some cases, he can create controversial tension with the audience; he can strategically interfere with their emotions. Not everyone reacts the same way, but everyone reacts somehow. And to him, that’s the beauty that follows performing.