Geometry Teacher Values Personal Connection

Skogens sense of humor shines through with a  photo edit.

Photo by: Molly Brown

Skogen’s sense of humor shines through with a photo edit.

Gavin McClowry, Student of Journalism

Walking into Mr. Christopher Skogen’s classroom, one observes vibrant mustard walls, countless Marvel posters and a “dad joke of the week” board.

For his first few years of teaching geometry, Skogen thinks he has to fit a certain mold of what a teacher needs to look like. Wearing a suit and tie to work, Skogen feels unlike himself and limited in the way he interacts with his students.

Throughout his career, Skogen discovers that teenagers are some of the greatest detectors of a disingenuous adult. Now, Skogen lets himself be unapologetically himself at his job. His classroom alone invites students in, giving his students a glimpse into his personality.

Skogen knows his job extends past teaching the Pythagorean theorem; ensuring the well-being of his students is exponentially more important to him. 

“The thought that gets me out of bed every morning, is if I can be the one person in somebody’s life who they know is irrevocably and unconditionally in their corner, then that makes everything worth it.”

The relationships he forms with his students extend into the numerous clubs Skogen leads. A few years into teaching, he sees a few of his students playing a trading card game. Skogen approaches them and shares his own interest in the genre. Later that week, one of the students asks Skogen to start a club for trading card games. 

Now, Skogen heads the Gaming Club, as well as Rocket Christian Fellowship. He refuses to let these groups of students not have a place to belong, as he feels they are underrepresented at the high school. Skogen forever remains on the side of the underdog. Both in the classroom and out, Skogen wears his friendly heart on his sleeve.