Injuries Limit Choices on the Field: Brightens Future Options Post High School

Photo by: Photo By: Reene Breister (Selia's Mom)

Soccer is Selia’s life until injuries limit her play.

Emerson Bluemke, Student of Journalism

For Selia Shelley soccer isn’t just a sport for her, it is her life.

Selia grew up in a soccer-oriented family, being the youngest she watchs as her two older sisters fall in love with the sport that changes her life. She starts playing soccer at the age of 5, then she plays for club soccer at age 11.

Selia’s involvement in cross country started in 6th grade because it helps prepare her for the soccer season.

Unfortunately, freshman year things take a turn for the worst. 

The constant push to run throughout her sports seasons leaves her injured. She ends up with shin splints early on in the season but runs with them regardless. This choice results in Selia acquiring grade four stress fractures. 

Her first cross-country season goes out with a bang — she has to quit because of her injury. Nonetheless, over the next two and a half years she continues to play soccer. Because of Selia’s busy life, her stress fractures never fully heal. At this point, she has a big decision to make about her overall health.

“For my health, mentally and physically, I decided that no longer playing soccer would be in the best interest for me.” 

Selia wants to use her new open time for something that will help her in the long run. 

In the spring of 2022, she receives her CNA certification. She wants to focus on her future career and academics now with her available time.

“My future is really important to me, so I’ve been spending time working, getting experience, and preparing myself for a future after high school.” 

With these new activities and experiences pushing her forward, quitting soccer isn’t as hard of an adjustment. Selia finds that new challenges off the field push her forward.