Review: The Best Place to Study Near NHS

Photo by: Chloe Loberg

Chloe Loberg, Student of Journalism

As finals season approaches, students scramble to study for tests and projects at the last minute. To find students during this time of year, the best spot to look would be in local coffee shops or the local library, because any lack of motivation at home may be appeased by a warm drink or treat, or even just a simple trip out of the house. 

A study by the University of Illinois found that creativity flows best with noise levels at a rate of 70 decibels, similar to the rhythm of a coffee shop, according to the New York Times. They also found the environment to enhance performance, but only on creative tasks. So, for projects that require close attention to detail, a quiet environment works best. 

I went to some of the most popular local study locations to determine the best place to study for whatever kind of task I face.

Neenah Public Library 

★★★★★

For anyone looking for a place to work with absolutely no distractions, the Neenah Public Library is the place to go. Usually desolate, the library is an excellent destination for serious studying. When I entered the library, I walked up the stairs past the children’s section and found a seat along the wall that is made up of windows, displaying a captivating view of the Fox River. The library was built in June 2000 after a referendum for a new library was approved, according to the library’s website. Since then, the library offers over 229,000 different materials, including books, magazines and audio/visual materials. 

With this many materials before me, I was able to access any information I needed while I was there without having to check anything out. Or, if patrons need anything to take home, they can start a library card for free at the front desk. The library also has computers available for use if seeking internet access.  

I found that the library was the safest place to work, particularly because everyone was there for a shared purpose. No one was there to hang out with their friends, and mostly everyone respected the volume level inside, so there was no need to block out any noise with headphones. I found that the Riverside view made for great scenery as the sun set quite early in the day; and, as a night person, the look of the stars created a peaceful ambiance while I finished my work.

Copper Rock Coffee Company 

★★★★

As I walked into Copper Rock, the environment was just as expected — lively and welcoming. The dimness made for a great place to focus without being bombarded by bright lights. That, accompanied by the many different seating options (including couches!) meant Copper Rock was the most comfortable place overall for studying. 

As for food, Copper Rock had everything from soup and sandwiches to gelato, according to their menu. The food prices could be expensive, but included a good amount for the price. What Copper Rock is most known for, though, is its locally roasted coffee. 

A study from the National Library of Medicine found that caffeine improves short-term memory and cognitive performance. I definitely felt more awake and ready to work as I drank Copper Rock coffee, and it was a bonus that it tasted amazing. 

Overall, I found that being comfortable in my work environment made it easier to work. I would recommend Copper Rock to anyone trying to boost their creativity. 

Starbucks- Neenah

★★★

The Neenah Starbucks, located on Winneconne and South Lake, is not always the place to go if looking for a place to focus. Because of its popularity and being the only Starbucks in Neenah, it can get busy. 

According to an employee Emlyn Swardenski, a senior at NHS, the best time to visit is after 6 p.m. because business is slower. Starbucks is open as early as 4:30 a.m., though, according to their website

The seating in Starbucks allows for noise to travel easily from the coffee bar itself, which means the noises of drinks being made are prominent. 

I found that Starbucks is one of the most convenient places to study because of its location. It is close to the school, meaning it is likely close to many NHS student’s houses. I found it easy to come there after school to complete work from earlier that day. 

Many people like to enjoy Starbucks daily, so it is familiar and comfortable. Like most people, I enjoy the drinks at Starbucks and find them to be like comfort food. Because of this, I would recommend studying at Starbucks for any group work or even just a study date with a friend.