• April 9Thursday, April 4 Girls Soccer - Home vs. Bay Port, 7 p.m.
  • April 9Thursday, April 4 Softball - Home vs. Kimberly, 5 p.m.
  • April 9Wednesday, April 3 Baseball - Home vs. Kimberly, 4:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

Polls

Do you have a summer job lined up?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

New Officer, New School

Police liaison officer plans to bridge the gap between teens and adults

With the opening of the brand new Neenah High School building, many students have been curious about everything new:  new classrooms, new hallways and new faces around the school.

A new face that caught students’ attention, standing in the halls, wearing a bulletproof vest and seeking trouble throughout the school is new Police Liaison Officer Clay Davis.

This intimidating man wants to bridge the gaps, keep the school safe and play his part, but he evolved prior to serving NHS.

At 19 years old, Officer Davis was filling out his will, thinking about where all his stuff would go. This can be overwhelming for any teenager, Officer Davis said. In college, Officer Davis participated in his fair share of parties, never worried about much else than that, escaping his problem like any other teen. He had no clue what he wanted to do in life besides going out every night to party like there was no tomorrow.

Living life with no clarity of purpose, Officer Davis went to one place that could give him a purpose —  the Army. Two uncles, both grandfathers and his own dad all served in the Army, guiding him to the light; they were the reason for joining the Army.

Officer Davis enlisted into the Army at age 19, in March of 2006. Right away Officer Davis like others, trained at boot camp held in Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.  November of 2007 Officer Davis deployed into Iraq. The first week of war humbles soldiers.

“First week you’re in Iraq, you see some adult things, which is a shock at first. Then you truly realize how evil the world can be.”

Realizing how other parts of the world live compared with America, he started to appreciate how fortunate he is to be American.

Returning stateside with a purpose in life, Officer Davis explored — stationed all over the country, from East coast to West Coast to stationed in Green Bay. During this time Officer Davis was granted the rank of level E-6, Staff Sergeant, which was the highest rank he achieved.  According to Military Ranks , E-6 is the highest rank off of the bottom of level E-1, Private. Officer Davis worked in the Army Reserve until 2014.

In 2012, Officer Davis and his battalion were supposed to go to Afghanistan, but he could not go because he was being attached to another battalion. 

After the Army, Officer Davis attended Fox Valley Tech for schooling. According to the Fox Crossing Police Department,  a college degree is needed in order to become a police officer. Out of all the colleges Officer Davis could have gone to, he chose Fox Valley Tech because he wanted hiring potential right after graduation. Becoming a police officer was the obvious choice, like doughnuts with coffee.

Applying at the Appleton Police Department and the Fox Crossing Police Department after college, the Fox Crossing Police Department accepted his application.  He has been employed for nine years prior to transitioning to his role as Police Liaison Officer for NHS.

All of the knowledge and experience Officer Davis qualifies him for this important job — protecting the new school!

He knows what it is like to be an out of control teenager, so he can relate, and he can also bring the life lessons and experience he has gained from being in the Army and serving his community as a police officer. He can bridge the gap from all the corners of his life to serve a skilled police liaison officer in a new environment.

One thing Officer Davis wants to make clear to any students, staff, or parents is that he is approachable.

Anybody can talk to him; the door is always open. Everyone puts on pants the same way as he does. He is human.

Just because he is a cop does not mean he should get treated differently.

Just because he is a police officer does not mean he is too serious to approach.

If Officer Davis is in the hallway, feel free to smile, wave or thank him for his service and role — keeping school safe.

View Comments (1)