• April 9Thursday, April 4 Girls Soccer - Home vs. Bay Port, 7 p.m.
  • April 9Thursday, April 4 Softball - Home vs. Kimberly, 5 p.m.
  • April 9Wednesday, April 3 Baseball - Home vs. Kimberly, 4:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

Polls

Do you have a summer job lined up?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Column: Decaying Average Leads More Rockets Toward Success

It allows students to see how beneficial learning can be when invested

Previous to this school year, Neenah High School had operated off of targeted-based grading with each target reflecting the most recent progress on a green, yellow or red scale. This year NHS shifted the model to a decaying average to account for progress throughout all 18 weeks, not just the most recent. Target-based learning assesses vital skills and sees the areas where growth is needed, the addition of the decaying average this year allows for the growth to progressional. The NHS grading policy states, “Proficiency is not a measurement of correct versus incorrect answers but rather an evaluation of the student’s overall ability to demonstrate understanding of concepts and skills.” (NJSD TBLG Policy) The NHS website provides a comprehensive explanation of the grading system (Decaying Average Policy) for further background.

Many argue that this makes obtaining good grades impossible; however, they fail to consider the fact that students who invest in their learning at a high level constantly are not facing failure with this new system. Academics have still excelled after the first quarter at NHS with the implemented changes. 

While this change has had mixed reactions from the student body, it has allowed their grade to be reflective of their progress all semester. According to Katelyn Schmidt, a senior at NHS, “The decaying average forces me to be accountable with my academics and to start investing in my learning early on. I also like how I can do well on my tests and if I receive a yellow on the last assignment, it becomes a grade average, which I believe is a more accurate representation of my learning.” It promotes improving throughout the semester and making learning a priority all semester long, whereas the old system only valued the most recent and did not account for progression throughout the semester.

Before this school year, there was a ton of stress put on teachers and students toward the end of the semester because of the grading system being based on recency. The N.J.S.D. District Website lists engagement as one of the four vital pillars of academic growth for the 2023-’24 school year. Engaging students all year long was a core intention behind the academic change. The other three pillars include collaboration, well-being and responsibility.

Furthermore, N.J.S.D. has put in more practices to help with this switch in grading. NHS has also made grades better communicated by adding a feature on Infinite Campus that displays the numerical percent that correlates with a letter grade. They have made it more accessible to see where the student stands regarding the letter grade.

This change may be an adjustment for many students, but it allows students to see how beneficial learning can be when they are fully invested all year. “Lead your learning” and “Every Rocket deserves a Champion” are governing words shared with students almost daily at NHS. This new update to the grading system aims to complete those same goals and find the champion in every Rocket.