Student Jumps Over Hurdle With Wordle

Most students work hard to make a mark with their academic achievements in each class, but not many go above and beyond like senior Lizzy Stacker who is assembling the high school’s first Wordle mural.

Stacker first hatched the idea when her Intro to Education Career teacher, Mrs. Tara Rockweit,  assigned the class the task to affect positive “climate”  change within the school. “We talk about the ‘climate’ change in class, which is the physical and emotional atmosphere of the educational setting,” describes Rockweit.

Stacker, an active member in LAUNCH, attended a camp earlier this year where they created Wordles, a program that allows participants to plug in words to create a collage, which inspired the project.  

Stacker’s initial idea to survey the students in her class on their favorite word and then plug them into a Wordle caught the eye of Principal Brian Wunderlich. He saw the potential in the idea and decided it would be more effective if she were to instead survey the entire student body and have it permanently displayed in the school.

“I hope that this project gives people who don’t normally have a voice, a chance to say something,” Stacker empathetically explains. Having only been released to the public for a short time it has already received over 100 words submitted in English, Spanish and French. Stacker plans to construct the Wordle by herself and have it correspond with the school colors. She feels as though she’s gained a new perspective from this and it has given her and others an opportunity to express themselves.

Because she is a senior, Stacker feels as though this is her last opportunity to conduct something like this at NHS so she plans to make it the best it can be. Wunderlich, however, thinks this will result in a future for different school topics to expand and impact the school.