• April 9Thursday, April 4 Girls Soccer - Home vs. Bay Port, 7 p.m.
  • April 9Thursday, April 4 Softball - Home vs. Kimberly, 5 p.m.
  • April 9Wednesday, April 3 Baseball - Home vs. Kimberly, 4:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

Polls

Do you have a summer job lined up?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Column: Fuel up with healthy snacks

By: Humorous Columnist Marissa Hart

High school students are hungry after the long day of tests; they  probably will go home and pick whatever the first thing they see in the kitchen is.

Students, however, should try to not lean to the most picked, contaminated, garbage that people are literally letting their body find nutrients from.  Few nutrients are found in a Twinkie for example. What comes from a Twinkie? Too much sugar, overdose on 270 calories and heart issues later on in life. That information was provided by “Calories in Twinkies.”

Many people believe certain snack options are better than others, and they are. Not every healthy food is gross, stop stereotyping food! Now, pretend Jane snacks before dance practice. It energizes her and makes her performance better. If she did not snack or re- energize she would feel too tired to dance. Jane gets home late every night, about 7:30 p.m. Remember those long seven hours from lunch. Jane’s stomach will growl, and it will sound like little annoying voices, and people will throw pencils at Jane during tests. Teens need to pick the foods that are rich in calcium and iron.

Most teens drink fizzy drinks, and eat pretty much waste, because it is. The body is like a machine! It does not run well on poor fuel. Fast food is almost always high in sugar, low in fiber, high in saturated fat, and served in too big of portions. Also its usually low in calcium and iron, which teens’ growing bodies really need. Eating is not a bad thing it is good, but just when people are using healthy things for meals and snacks. Everyone deserves to physically feel healthy and eating healthy does make people feel better emotionally.

People think, why does it matter? Health problems later in life, oh well. Dealing with it later in life, okay. Realize health problems are a possibility right now. Poor diets can cause weight gain, lead to body image disorders, fatigue and high blood pressure. Some people also think about the fact that junk food is cheaper makes it better. Guess what, it will not be so cheap when money is spent constantly toward blood draws, doctor appointments and surgery. This is all so preventable, even by the foods a person intakes.

Eat foods like beans, nuts, tofu and eggs. They all contain protein, which is important to muscles, hair, skin, eyes, internal organs and nails. Also carbohydrates, which help the nervous system, muscles and internal organs. Some foods could be fruit, vegetables, whole grains and beans. Also fats, which give  amazing energy when people do not get enough. Fats transfer nutrients like vitamins A, D, E, K. Also fatty tissues protect  organs from temperature change and any possible trauma. People should want their temperature to feel normal in their organs. People could also help go grocery shopping, take part in cooking at home, and educate parents about health. This information is from “Eating Tips for Teenagers – Better Health Channel.” Better Health Channel.  In fact, show them this article. Instead of drinking that pollution in a bottle, AKA soda, drink water and herbal green tea. Not that Arizona tea with all that sugar in a bottle. And go for mashed avocado with tortilla chips, or a veggie roll up for a snack. Avocados do contain potassium. Even chopped fruit or a granola bar is great!

Even though people may feel like it is too much work to eat healthy, it is not. It is actually too much work to not eat healthy snacks. Just look at all the health issue costs. Teens need to support their growing bodies with the right food they need. Especially food containing calcium and iron. Take in foods with protein, good carbohydrates, and fats. Teens who eat healthier are shown to be happier emotionally and physically. Do not just think health problems happen with age. Teens are getting them more with the bad foods now. Health problems can happen at any age, even right now. Hopefully customers will reach for the vitamin packed fuel rather than the waste fuel for the body.