• April 9Thursday, April 4 Girls Soccer - Home vs. Bay Port, 7 p.m.
  • April 9Thursday, April 4 Softball - Home vs. Kimberly, 5 p.m.
  • April 9Wednesday, April 3 Baseball - Home vs. Kimberly, 4:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

Polls

Do you think the snow will continue?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Christmas shopping for teens

By: Reporter Hannah Sopel

Christmas shopping is the focus of people everywhere this time of year, and teens are part of it too. Shopping for the most famous gift-giving holiday puts a dent in savings, but what and who are they actually spending it on?

“About 93 percent of teens plan to use their own money on at least one person and at least 18 percent spend $100 or more on everyone they are buying gifts for,” said Santilli in her article “Helping teens budget for holiday spending.”

Many teens have jobs throughout their years of high school, but many get by without one. Christmas shopping is a time where teens can either make the decision to save up their own money from their job or allowance to pay for their own gifts for loved ones, or they may have the option to get extra money from their parents. They may use both. Either way, this season takes away money that they have earned. Considering that they have not made nearly as much money as their parents in their lifetimes, it seems as though they should not be spending as much for the holiday. Statistics, though, do not prove that.

Of the teens that were interviewed from NHS, they spend an average of about $90 for all of their Christmas shopping. This may not seem like a large amount, but considering the amount that they have made altogether in their working experience, it is a large amount to spend each year on gifts. An overwhelming amount of the students said that they spend the most on their significant other. This is only taking money spent for gifts into consideration, though. This does not count money that is spent on food or supplies for parties and gatherings or gag gifts that is often tradition. All of the students, impressively, said that they use their own money that they have earned to buy their gifts.

Christmas is an expensive holiday for all adults, but it also affects teens when they do not have nearly as much money to spend, but just as many loved ones.