Physics Teacher Rewarded in More Ways Than One

unnamedMr. Scott Hertting does not wake up at 5 a.m. each morning to start his 12 hour day for no reason; he has a passion for teaching and challenging his students. Hertting started teaching science, specifically physics, 25 years ago and is still on fire for it as the first day. His favorite part of his job is giving challenges to his students and watching them use the skills taught to master the concepts.

If a typical resume showcases talents and awards, Hertting’s professional resume blows minds.

Starting back in 2003, Hertting acquired his National Board certification, granting him his master teaching license. In 2007 he received the Excellence in Science teaching award (WSST). Then, in 2013, he was named NHS’s Teacher of the Year.

More recently, in the summer of this year, Hertting was nominated and then chosen for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Math and Science Teaching (PAEMST). After sending in the paperwork, he was chosen, along with 104 other science teachers in the nation, to receive this award and meet President Obama.

Hertting described his experience as “phenomenal.” He told of how the president had not been on time because of his busy schedule and had labeled the teachers as a “rowdy bunch.” All of the teachers had been given a glass of water to drink prior to meeting him, because of the high temperatures that day. With a chuckle Hertting exclaimed, “He told us since we were such good teachers and he now had something of ours (DNA on the glasses of water) he was going to clone us!”

Hertting showed his bewilderment as he explained how the entire trip was paid for and that they got to spend five exciting days in the capital. He had felt both humbled and honored to have received the award and enjoy such a life changing experience.

While there, the teachers got to meet the U.S. advisors of science and math. They told them that they were being honored for a reason and to use it to take a leadership role and improve their teaching.

Although getting the Presidential award definitely added to it, Hertting already had high motivation to work his hardest at his job. He feels as though he indirectly helps his students by having expectations for himself and his class and striving to achieve them, while impacting his students along the way.

Hertting’s wife accompanied him on the trip to Washington D.C.  He shared that she has always been extremely supportive of his teaching career and proud of his numerous awards that he has achieved.

He continues to use his awards to affirm his teaching skills and further his passion to give students skills and knowledge.