Art Around NHS

What's new in our community?

Dorschner%2C+art+teacher%2C+says+this+painting+shows+how+artists+can+transform+communities+with+beautiful+murals.+In+the+painting%2C+it+portrays+a+wide+variety+of+perspectives+that+take+viewer%27s+eyes+through+several+murals+in+progress%2C+being+done+by+devoted+artists.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Art Around NHS

Dorschner, art teacher, says this painting shows how artists can transform communities with beautiful murals. In the painting, it portrays a wide variety of perspectives that take viewer's eyes through several murals in progress, being done by devoted artists.

Bella Brackin, Student of Journalism

The art programs continues to contribute to the community from door decorating to wall murals, but looking deeper into some of the art pieces recently completed, like the nooks in the link and the mindful murals, interior design classes made all of that happen.

Emma Santiago, one of the interior design teachers at the high school, says that all of the work done around the school are because of the community projects that are done at the end of the semester.

The students do the projects all by themselves and get to pick what they do. Santiago noted that the students are able to propose the project that they would like to do; otherwise they are able to pick off a list of projects that still need to be done around the school.

The process for the community project follows: the students come up with a project idea that is thoughtful and has a plan and design already made; if needed to propose it to a teacher or a staff member, they will do so, before getting it approved by Santiago and Wunderlich.

The nooks in the link were done by Santiago’s and Mrs. Lisa Dorschner’s first interior design classes.

The students all worked together to come up with ideas for what they would make of the nooks in the link. They worked with the tech. ed. students who helped make their vision possible through building tables and chairs to install in the nooks. They wanted these nooks to be a good place for students to have an area to work that is not on the floor outside of classrooms, and so kids do not have to walk all the way down to the library to work.

It is observable that NHS utilize these nooks, daily.

Continuing on the tour of art additions in Conant, the mindfulness painting was completed by the REACH students. They were able to create something about which they were passionate. They wanted their fellow students to be able to have a safe environment to work in and a place to relax in the building. 

Moving into the Armstrong building, “Homage to Mural Art” is a painting that was done by Dorschner’s, “Mindful Mural” class, first semester, with the help of the well-known local artist, Leif Larson.

Dorschner says this painting was to show how artists can transform communities with beautiful murals. In the painting, it portrays a wide variety of perspectives, she states, that take viewer’s eyes through several murals in progress, being done by devoted artists. The soul purposes for this painting was to show dedication, planning, cooperation, and ongoing vision that is required of artists.

The painting was placed next to the Physical Education room (144).

Armstrong has spots that are deserving of art and the painting’s purpose is the be eye catching and to spark curiosity and interest in the student body around it. Dorschner says that the interest of art and having art around the public is such a vital part of culture.

Art sparks curiously, passion and creativity in so many people. The student body is lucky to have access to these opportunities and be able to see the wonderful creations that can be made through the vision and the teamwork of students who have such an amazing passion.