Helping Hands Book Fair Nets Profit Beyond Goal

Edgar Nieto, Student of Journalism

The NHS used book sale on Nov. 2, during the Helping Hands Craft Fair, encounters amazing success this year by earning $1,458 more than last year’s book drive.

“It’s in the books” announced Mrs. Shelley Aaholm, the organizer of the fair, in a recent e-mail to the staff in which she confirmed that the book drive could not have gone any better.

Proceeds from this year’s drive will assist English teacher Ms. Sara Bork with her medical expenses as she battles cancer.  According to the Satellite, last year’s sale netted $859.50, and this year, students set the goal of raising $900 in book sales in honor of Bork.

Originally, the idea of the book drive came from Spanish teacher Shelley Aaholm, Mrs. Molly Brown said.

“She received the idea by going to another craft fair and saw the book fair integrated with traditional crafts; thus we obtained the idea of our book drive,” Brown described.

Brown’s motivation for her involvement is simple.  “We love books and love organizing.”

She notes that working with friends and students made the experience worth doing.

She fails to mention the hours and level of commitment involved in the book drive. Mrs. Brown and Ms. Stephanie Pommerening stay up until 2:30 a.m. organizing books to make the book fair into a mini-Barnes & Nobles.

“Knowing the money would help out Ms. Bork and help take some stress off of her, I felt the need to do it, Brown said humbly.

She also mentions with a laugh that her OCD is satisfied during the drive. 

In recognition of the fact that teachers, students and staff help out to make the book drive possible, the community benefits most from this book sale.

For example, Brown notes feedback from different people of different ages. “I can’t wait to read my books” was mentioned by various kids, adults and teenagers who are excited and felt like it was the best thing in the world. Students also benefited knowing the money made a difference to Ms. Bork.

“Books are accepted all year-round by labeling them HH – Book Fair and bringing them to door 3!” Mrs. Brown explained.  

Books from all categories and subjects ranging from infant to adult are accepted.  Book sales cannot happen without donations.

“We would like to connect with teachers from UWO, UWGB etc. in the near future, as they are looking to build a classroom library,” Brown revealed.

To keep the book drive drastically increasing, Brown recommends more contests like Mrs. Beth Plankey did to encourage students to bring in books and getting the word out early.

“Shout out to Plankey and her seminar who spent countless hours organizing, collecting and marketing!” Brown said.

Both Pommerening and Plankey’s freshmen seminar classes had 100 percent participation in the drive, and students were estatic about shattering the book drive goal.