• April 9Thursday, April 4 Girls Soccer - Home vs. Bay Port, 7 p.m.
  • April 9Thursday, April 4 Softball - Home vs. Kimberly, 5 p.m.
  • April 9Wednesday, April 3 Baseball - Home vs. Kimberly, 4:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

Student Entrepreneur Explains His Brand

What running a business is like

Owen Blenker, a senior at NHS, is the original founder of the brand Evil Zebra. Evil Zebra is a blossoming brand that holds social events for peers and releases clothing items in person and online.

According to Junior Achievement, 30 percent of teens’ biggest concern in starting a business is the amount of risk. Blenker has acknowledged the struggles he has faced, but he has not let that stop him. He expands on how in the clothing industry, creators face the conflict of whether they make a medium that pleases the majority, or create it for themselves. Majority of the time he chooses himself, in hopes that people will see the same vision he has. 

Additionally, the feeling of being unheard and being taken legitimately has also been a frustration.

Even though Blenker has created multiple events such as AN EVENT BY EVIL ZEBRA, The Final Countdown and Circus Club. Blenker has dedicated numerous weeks and months to making sure that these events run smoothly and are successful. While events have already been a fan favorite, there have been some roadblocks along the way.

“[the challenge] is getting sponsors to be like ‘yeah we’ll give you money for this event run by a 17-year-old kid’.” 

Especially with gearing more toward hosting events for people to come and visit, finding venues or sponsors to help support his events as a teen is challenging. On the contrary, Forbes states that teen entrepreneurs could be a breath of fresh air in the business industry. Within the new generation, teens have new perspectives about different issues and processes with energy and determination to pursue their passions. 

Evil Zebra events are supposed to be a place where people can get away from the stress in their lives, connect with people in the community, and have fun. With food, drinks, music, clothes and games, it helps create a laid-back and welcoming atmosphere. With the events Blenker has thrown, it has been a huge success and something that his peers and supporters will definitely remember. 

As Evil Zebra has been lying quiet for the last couple of months, there are definitely events to look forward to in the near future. With challenges and setbacks, Blenker has created memories, established a community, and craves to expand his creativity and his determination to the rest of his community, and he does not plan to stop anytime soon.