• April 9Thursday, April 4 Girls Soccer - Home vs. Bay Port, 7 p.m.
  • April 9Thursday, April 4 Softball - Home vs. Kimberly, 5 p.m.
  • April 9Wednesday, April 3 Baseball - Home vs. Kimberly, 4:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

Polls

Do you have a summer job lined up?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Spanish Honor Society Establishes Tradition

New opportunity for Neenah Spanish learners

A new tradition begins for students taking Spanish at Neenah High School, through Spanish Honor Society. 

Spanish Honor Society (Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica) is a national organization, AATSP, which stands for American Association of Teachers of Spanish & Portuguese. 

The Spanish Honor Society has over 2,900 different chapters that represent important people of Spanish and Portuguese culture. This year’s chapter is focusing on Las Hermanas Mirabales. They were three sisters that lived in the Dominican Republic and were against the dictator Rafael Trujillo. Students can learn more about the sisters’ story in Spanish 2. 

Most students take Spanish 1, 2 and even 3, but after that most students feel that it is not necessary or that it is no longer a requirement and so they do not continue.  

Profe Erin Neinas, a Spanish teacher, explained the reasoning behind continuing to learn through the Spanish classes offered at Neenah High School. 

“Our goal is to get students interested in not only the language of Spanish but the cultures of all of the different countries and speak Spanish and just opening up them up to the idea that Neenah is a very small community and a it’s a very big world and we encourage students to continue their language studies as well as to get involved with our language clubs,” Nienas said. 

On Feb. 16, 24 students were inducted into the new Spanish Honor Society. Where students dedicate themselves in the learning and understanding of the Spanish language and its culture. 

Profe Nienes continued to mention more of the specialties of Spanish Honor Society.

Spanish Honor Society Induction

“I was just thinking about it this morning after our meeting. It is just a such an amazing group of kids, and I feel so blessed and honored to have 24 just really brilliant, like minded student all in the same classroom who all want to dedicate their time and dedicate their passion to what I love so that’s just really fun.” 

Nienas reflected that when she went to high school at Oshkosh West, she experienced a Socidad Honoraria Hispanica.  The chapter name was Diego Rivera. Because this opportunity as a student stuck with her, she wanted to give that back!

If students are interested in joining SHH, it is for sophomores and above. Students will be able to join by paying attention to their Spanish teacher’s announcements during the second semester.